+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot get anything to flow out of permeate line

Thanks everyone for your help. I spoke with Carl and he is sending a new needle valve. It appears that I am having the same issue as you therealtreehugger. Carl is great to work with, awesome customer service!
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

Glad I could help. I didn't see it as an issue or problem, I thought that was just how it was supposed to work. Get it to a point you like it, tighten the threaded ring, and you have a reference. As long as it works, you're good!
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

That stop is really helpful to lock down the exact location (setting) of the needle valve if you take a break midway through processing the sap and wash the membranes with permeate. When you open up the valve wide for the wash, don't move the ring as you back off (release) the valve. That way, when you are done with the wash, you can close the valve until it stops at the ring and you will be producing the same % concentrate as before. I've found that a 10-gallon wash after about 120-150 gallons of raw sap processed really makes a difference if you have to work through 200-300 or more gallons of sap.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12