+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is everyone doing?

Like wnybassman, we at MT Pockets Ranch are essential employees so it is likely will be be exposed. All good to this point and praying for no issues. Our tanks are full and Looking forward to boiling away our concerns tommorow.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

Well, The three of us working this maple thing. Me Myself and I, I had to lay off Me and Myself, Now I have to do all the work. Since the PA lock down I have not changed my schedule. Back flushed all lines and drops, pulled spiles, picking up sap containers and pallets, and will be washing containers today. plan to start taking down tubing next week. Not looking for big crowds to mingle with at this time.
    Keep boiling.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Things are pretty quiet up here in rural Ontario, most folks are keeping to themselves, strange thing the telephone is getting more use than normal with neighbours checking up and making sure everyone is o.k.
    Turning cold here tonight and for a few days, maybe maple weather again by midweek. Stay safe everyone and if your out take precautions and wash your hands.

I boiled today, like Chris, I am the only one working. Fortunately my vacuum remains good, 26-27" and that is without walking lines since 13 days ago. If it drops below 25" I'll have to check for leaks. I know I likely have some squirrel chews but the pump is staying up to what I need.
    I often work with 3-6 others, sometimes, Me, Myself and my BIL, plus one grandson, my oldest son and his girl friend. Since the covid 19 first landed in this country, I have told those others to stay home and I've been working solo.
    My sugar has been at 1.0% the last few days, if it goes lower I'll pull the plug. Also, only half of my taps are on sugars, the rest are reds. All of the reds in the warmer section of my woods have quit, so my sap flow has been reduced for about a week.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We are doing fine in the hill town of western Massachusetts. The people scared buying items is intense but we have made some great syrup so far this season. This will run its course but we wish all great health during the virus. We will all get through this.
    Pure Mountain Maple
    Lapierre Mini-Pro
    12x16 sugarhouse
    John Deere 1050 4wd
    John Deere 2130 HFWD
    2- 35 gallon leg tanks, one 65 gallon leg tank
    100 gallon sap feed-tank
    Started with 12 buckets on a flat pan 2013
    2023 - 55 taps. all buckets

This might be a good year to expand the garden a bit. We usually put enough to feed three families, but here are a dozen families on my street that don't have even a single tomato plant.

I hope me and myself get paid vacation or they may not show up next year.
    2006 - 12 taps on open fire
    2011 - 50 taps new 2 x 4 flat pan + warmer
    2012 - 65 taps new 16 x 16 sugar shack
    2013- 75 taps and no more, well maybe 85 now
    2016-97 taps
    1 Lab and my wife's Springer

Default Safe and well

I hope this message finds everyone safe and well, our season is wrapped up and for me it was fun. These past few weeks have really made me reflect on what is truly important. Spending time with family, as in the family in our house. I have become so great full to live we’re we do in a rural setting. The kids and wife and I can go outside and get out of the house without much worry. I do pray for those at the mercy of this terrible virus that is effecting so many.
    Take care folks, and please heed the warnings. Stay safe.

Yes, those of us fortunate to live out in the countryside and even on a small parcel of property can at least go outside and enjoy the good weather and get stuff done, too. Even my humble half acre has more than enough work to keep me busy when the sun is out :-) I feel sorry for people in cities esp those jammed into apartment buildings with only a tiny concrete slab for a balcony. I have family in Toronto and they report people being out packing the streets...not safe at all. Please everyone take care and watch out for your neighbours too. Stay safe and be thankful for the rural life.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12