+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is everyone doing?

Default How is everyone doing?

Well our little area of the state is pretty quiet. This is a tiny farming community. Not much to shut down. Schools closed Monday. Unfortunately kids aren't being supervised, so they are wandering around. Alot of people aren't taking this seriously. Ron is boiling sap, so that is keeping him busy. I have seeds started. My gardens will get alot of attention. Everyone is walking their dogs. Lots of time calling friends and family, watching tv and hobbies..everyone stay safe.

Gathering sap and boiling all day is a pretty good method of social isolation. I woke up this morning feeling good that I have an all consuming hobby that makes a little money. Maybe everyone should.

Good Morning,

Doing well in Southeast Missouri; as of last night eight cases and one death statewide, nothing in our area. It's going to get worse before it gets better and kids coming home from Spring Break are probably not going to help that much! We're heading towards more and more self-isolation; I've got LOTS around the house to do and I've just retired. We're in better shape than all those folks getting laid off for 'two weeks'; that will probably run longer. They're looking at a peak in 45 days and that's probably 45 days after it hits an area, so we'll probably be another week or two behind that in our area.

This hobbyist-newbee in Southeast Missouri is done for the season. Time to start kicking in the next hobby . . . beekeeping. Tried my hand at it with purchased bees about 20 years ago. This time around, I'm planning on catching a local swarm instead of purchasing. Have a Swarm Trap built and ready to go and the hive just needs the last finishing touches. Used plans from horizontalhive.com and before reacquiring hive tools, I'm in for less than $50! Wish me luck! <grin>

I'm also going to be able to put a lot more time into the garden. Have starts under grow lights in the basement and plan to put in a couple of new, raised bed gardens.

Stay well!

John

Doing fine here in Eastern Ontario. My municipality has no confirmed cases yet. Had the silliness at the grocery stores with no TP, rationed to 2 of any item etc but lower gas prices, way less traffic, way less everything. I am fine and healthy and boiling away as my trees love this time of year and happily produce 70l a day (this from 8 trees) so I have plenty to keep me busy. I have a nest egg saved up and am used to living frugally anyway, so I'm good for the next while or so.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

We are fine here. I'm still boiling, but the sap sugar % has fallen to 1.0%. Will stop when it falls below 1. At 26" of vacuum I'm only getting 200-250 gal in 2 days off 398 taps. I thus boil every 2 because it would spoil if I hold the sap longer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    Good Morning,

Doing well in Southeast Missouri; as of last night eight cases and one death statewide, nothing in our area. It's going to get worse before it gets better and kids coming home from Spring Break are probably not going to help that much! We're heading towards more and more self-isolation; I've got LOTS around the house to do and I've just retired. We're in better shape than all those folks getting laid off for 'two weeks'; that will probably run longer. They're looking at a peak in 45 days and that's probably 45 days after it hits an area, so we'll probably be another week or two behind that in our area.

This hobbyist-newbee in Southeast Missouri is done for the season. Time to start kicking in the next hobby . . . beekeeping. Tried my hand at it with purchased bees about 20 years ago. This time around, I'm planning on catching a local swarm instead of purchasing. Have a Swarm Trap built and ready to go and the hive just needs the last finishing touches. Used plans from horizontalhive.com and before reacquiring hive tools, I'm in for less than $50! Wish me luck! <grin>

I'm also going to be able to put a lot more time into the garden. Have starts under grow lights in the basement and plan to put in a couple of new, raised bed gardens.

Stay well!

John
    Sounds good. I've entertained the idea of beekeeping, but haven't jumped in yet. I did join the local beekeeping association, and attended a few meetings, and it turns out we have a fairly thriving community of beekeepers in the area. I'm just not sure I have the energy/motivation to do both syrup and beekeeping, although the seasons are pretty out of phase.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Doing good here. Been busy boiling last few days alone so kind of isolation. Had to go grocery shopping for my elderly parents and us late yesterday. Nightmare finding bread and canned soup. Both college kids are now home and doing online classes for rest of semester and my wife now working from home. Internet is stressed at the moment.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Me, my wife, and our two year old are holed up at home. Normally my wife and I both work, but my daughter's daycare is shut down. So my wife and I each take half a day. Neither of us are getting much work done the rest of the time, but what can you do? Here in Connecticut, things are getting pretty serious pretty fast. Folks have started dying, and the number of cases are growing exponentially. So we're not messing around - my family is taking it seriously. That said, I do feel like getting in my car and driving to the sugarbush, only stopping to get gas (and then sanitize my hands), where the nearest neighbors to our cabin and sugar shack are a quarter mile away, is pretty safe.

Pretty worried about my elderly parents in NYC. They're also taking this very seriously, but it just takes one slip-up. Fingers crossed.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

So far so good here in WNY. Pulled the plug on maple today. Been fighting keeping stuff clean during these warm spells and honestly I just kinda had enough. Don't need to be wearing myself out any more than I have to physically. I work at the post office and my wife works at a hospital. Seems like it is just a matter of time for us, neither one of us will be told to stay home unless we are sick.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    Sounds good. I've entertained the idea of beekeeping, but haven't jumped in yet. I did join the local beekeeping association, and attended a few meetings, and it turns out we have a fairly thriving community of beekeepers in the area. I'm just not sure I have the energy/motivation to do both syrup and beekeeping, although the seasons are pretty out of phase.
    Here in Missouri I'm out of syruping and looking to catch a swarm in April. Look for Dr.Leo Sharashkin on YouTube and check out his website horizontalhives.com. He has a philosophy centered on catching local swarms and treatment free care - local bees are surviving without treatment. He says that beekeeping is easier than raising tomatoes! There is a learning curve, there are some good books out and lots of good information to learn from on YouTube, among other places. Local beekeeping groups are good to be involved with. I was hoping to start with mine and attend a first meeting next week - may be cancelled due to Covid-19.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast