+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sap flow question

Default Sap flow question

As anyone in Mass know there really hasn't been a freeze thaw pattern. I'm on buckets and bags and mostly red maples. But sap flow has been nonexistent for probably about 8 or 9 days. We have had a few days of colder temperatures I'm just now getting a trickle.
    So 2 questions

Is this happening to everyone else?

And will it start up again, or is that to long of a time to stop?

I am further west and a little higher up. We had a hard freeze last weekend and a few weak freezes this week. Sap flow has really slowed. The warm days are causing bacterial counts to jump and plug up the tap holes.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

So do you think the season is done?

I’m wondering the same thing and have no answers, but for me it has been 6 weeks (feb 9 tapped), which is as long as the season normally lasts around here, so I’m ready to call it a season if it doesn’t pick up soon. I was expecting more early this week. I might still wait thru the weekend though since we have 2 more consecutive nights in the low-mid 20s
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

I am going to boil this afternoon and then wait it out until after this weekend when a solid freeze is predicted. I tapped just over 3 weeks ago, so I have nothing to lose by waiting a little longer and hoping for the best.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Reds usually do poorer on gravity, vacuum helps a lot, even if you can only get a small diaphragm pump, it will help your sap flow on Reds. If you even only have 10-15' of elevation drop 3/16 laterals can help too, more slope of course helps more. For those on buckets or bags, 6 weeks is generally considered your season, that is why tapping at the right time is most important for you.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunG View Post
    For me it's been a bit more complicated. I tapped on Feb 10. Despite predicted warmth, we actually got a prolonged cold spell when it never got warm enough to flow for me (foothills of the Berkshires) until the last week of Feb, when I got a small run. Then the first week of March was perfect, and I got a big run of over 5 gallons per tap. The second week was too warm, and I got a bit, but not much. Hoping this week will be better (I can only get to my sugar bush on weekends).

I'm not sure I understand your question. The trees don't just stop after a warm or cold spell. They will do their thing anytime the temperatures line up right. The only other thing that affects what you get are whether the tap holes have started to dry up (you don't say when you tapped, or what your setup is like, so no way to comment on that for you). If you tapped two weeks ago, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to go until the trees get buddy where you are.

For me, having tapped five weeks ago, my trees may be starting to dry up. I'm hoping that the very cold temps the first couple of weeks may stretch things out a bit, as next week (according to current forecasts) looks primo in my neck of the woods.

Cheers,

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunG View Post
    As anyone in Mass know there really hasn't been a freeze thaw pattern. I'm on buckets and bags and mostly red maples. But sap flow has been nonexistent for probably about 8 or 9 days. We have had a few days of colder temperatures I'm just now getting a trickle.
    So 2 questions

I would say you would have a good chance if you were tapping Sugar Maples but since you are tapping Red Maples I will say no. No worthy sap from them.

Others "might" tell you that there is no difference between the season of the Red Maple and the Sugar Maple, but I would say that if that is true then it is true on the upland slopes of north central Vermont where much of the research between the two trees has been done.

The more Boreal ones region is, the closer together all plant life becomes. Until ... well you eventually have nothing but pack ice and no plants. In which case all plant life is identical as in non existent. Sorry to be philosophical but philosophy presents reality about as well as anything.

The more southerly you go in the range of the two trees the more difference there is in the sap flow schedule between the two types of trees.

There is definitely a difference between the two here in Southwest CT and in the southern portion of the Mid Hudson Valley.

I would say Stowe MA is far closer to the Geo Climate of Southwest CT then it is to Stowe VT.

Hope that helps
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

My buckets are doing nothing this week even after we had a couple nights with a good freeze. they were the last to be drilled, about March 5th. My tubing is running ok, new spouts every year. Sugar content has dropped off, about 1.6% now.

Same here in Harvard - buckets this week are all dry, but 5/16 tubing is still running, slowly. I’ll probably get 30-40 gallons tonite and boil. No need for RO. I’ll take it.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast