+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sap flow question

Hybrid View

Default Sap flow question

As anyone in Mass know there really hasn't been a freeze thaw pattern. I'm on buckets and bags and mostly red maples. But sap flow has been nonexistent for probably about 8 or 9 days. We have had a few days of colder temperatures I'm just now getting a trickle.
    So 2 questions

Is this happening to everyone else?

And will it start up again, or is that to long of a time to stop?

I am further west and a little higher up. We had a hard freeze last weekend and a few weak freezes this week. Sap flow has really slowed. The warm days are causing bacterial counts to jump and plug up the tap holes.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

So do you think the season is done?

I’m wondering the same thing and have no answers, but for me it has been 6 weeks (feb 9 tapped), which is as long as the season normally lasts around here, so I’m ready to call it a season if it doesn’t pick up soon. I was expecting more early this week. I might still wait thru the weekend though since we have 2 more consecutive nights in the low-mid 20s
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

I am going to boil this afternoon and then wait it out until after this weekend when a solid freeze is predicted. I tapped just over 3 weeks ago, so I have nothing to lose by waiting a little longer and hoping for the best.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Reds usually do poorer on gravity, vacuum helps a lot, even if you can only get a small diaphragm pump, it will help your sap flow on Reds. If you even only have 10-15' of elevation drop 3/16 laterals can help too, more slope of course helps more. For those on buckets or bags, 6 weeks is generally considered your season, that is why tapping at the right time is most important for you.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Tapholes on gravity buckets/bags typically last about 6 weeks unless you get really hot weather during that time, which could dry out tapholes abruptly. That timeframe is true of red maple and sugar maple. I suspect that some of you are at or past that time if you tapped in early-February. In short, those tapholes are done for the season. Tubing (with good sanitation) will get you a bit more. Vacuum tubing with excellent sanitation will almost double that time as long as weather conditions are not terribly unfavorable.

One thing we've found in our measurements of red maples on vacuum over the past few years is that they are extremely variable (it is likely to be the same for gravity collection). One taphole will produce huge amounts of sap, the next one very little. This is true for trees that are next to other, or even in two tapholes in the same tree. Why is this? We aren't sure yet, but it has nothing to do with direction of tapping or whether we tap higher or lower (above or below the lateral line). UVM PMRC (mostly Dr. Abby) will be doing a good amount of more research with red maple over the next couple of years.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-20-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I am looking forward to the results on red maples. Prior to discovering 3/16 lines and vacuum from gravity or small diaphragm pumps, I did not bother tapping red maples since they produced very little sap. Now I have nearly 2/3 of my 200 taps on red maples with gravity or vacuum and the sap production is close to that of my sugar maples - although sugar content is slightly lower. This year I am getting a really nice flavor from my syrup, caramel-like. I see a lot of land in flat areas near rivers or swamps that has a high concentration or red maples, what a great way to pull some money out of an otherwise worthless piece of land.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    I am looking forward to the results on red maples.
    The ongoing project from last year and this year is a preliminary study to compare sap yields and sugar content of cohabiting sugar and red maple trees, and to look at the change in yield from one versus two taps in red maple stems on vacuum (we already know that relationship in sugar maple).

Dr. Abby's project over the next 3 years focuses on comparing sap yield, sugar content, and syrup flavor from cohabiting sugar and red maple trees on vacuum. We basically have to build two complete vacuum tubing systems side-by-side. One will collect from ONLY red maple trees, the other will collect ONLY from sugar maple trees. As part of that, Abby will try to determine if and when red maple sap goes "buddy" compared to sugar maple sap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    I am looking forward to the results on red maples. Prior to discovering 3/16 lines and vacuum from gravity or small diaphragm pumps, I did not bother tapping red maples since they produced very little sap. Now I have nearly 2/3 of my 200 taps on red maples with gravity or vacuum and the sap production is close to that of my sugar maples - although sugar content is slightly lower. This year I am getting a really nice flavor from my syrup, caramel-like. I see a lot of land in flat areas near rivers or swamps that has a high concentration or red maples, what a great way to pull some money out of an otherwise worthless piece of land.

Dave
    Its important to recognize that a good stand of large sugar maples will frequently flux twice the sugar content as a good stand of red maples.

If not twice as much then much more so rather then slightly more sugar content then red maples.

If you do not have RO make sure you have a LOT of firewood.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast