+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low sugar content

Default Low sugar content

Question for some of you. My sugar content has really dropped of. I'm getting 1.4 percent sugar and the weather here has been perfect with freezing nights and highs around 44. I'm about a third way through my season hopefully. Is there a chance the sugar content will come back up? There has been a lot of moisture in the ground. Friday and Saturday will not get above 32. Any thoughts???

Mines dropped here too. Started season around 2.6-2.8%. Now it’s down to 1.8-2%. Getting lots of sap though. Hard to say if it will rise. Usually for me it starts low and then goes up as the season progresses and then will drop off later in the season. But every year is different. I guess be happy for what we get and make the best of it.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Lots of us are dealing with extremely low sugar, especially this year. I've been getting .9-1.1 recently. I started at 1.5 early, and downhill from there. A lot of work for a LOT less syrup. I'd love to be boiling 1.5%!
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

1 - 1.5% in North Afton, very disappointing
    2018 25 taps, two turkey fryers, 4 gallons
    2019 75 taps, Mason 2'x4, XL, 10'x12' shack
    2020 150 Taps Mason 2x4XL RO15 Bucket. no sugar%
    2021 250ish Taps Mason 2x4 XL RO 20 bucket , going to be busy, 40 gallons made
    2022 400ish taps 2x4 Smokey Lake Drop Flue single post 4x40 RO

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZj2hHkXpKSBJqJFA

https://www.facebook.com/kelseybrook...FIVmIotuulHl4W

I guess the maple gods are making up for the high sugar content last year

2% at the start for me, then down to 1.3%. Last night I had 1.5% and was happy for that. Otherwise the weather has been good, lots of clear sap. I guess it’s not just my sugarbush that’s not sweet this year ☹️
    2013 Started with 6 used buckets, 6 sap sacks, concrete block fire pit in the woods and a 20g Agway galvanized tub for boiling - made 8 quarts campfire grade syrup and got hooked. Over the years I acquired or built a 2x6 Leader evaporator, 20x30 barn/sugar house, home-built RO with 1-4x40 membrane and Kubota L3200 with log winch. In 2020 I was certified by VT Audubon as a bird-friendly producer.

2021 250 taps on 11- 3/16" lines hoping for 80 gal.

Out of control hobby, not a business!

Mine started about 2 and went up to 2.2% Now down to 1.5% I don't think it's going back up at all even if we do get a hard freeze. So my RO has to run a little longer.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by hogisland42 View Post
    I guess the maple gods are making up for the high sugar content last year
    I think of it more like the stock market. Sometimes it's high, sometimes it's low...seems to have some relationship to something that's going on, but never quite sure what that is.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

My best sugar % this season has been 1.8%, just one day. It started at 1.2 and after 2 freeze thaw cycles in a row it climbed. Today it is 1.0, my lowest, was also 1.0 2 days ago. If it falls any lower I will shut down and call it a season. Even with an RO it doesn't seem worth the time to process under 1% sap. Maybe if I had an RO that could give me 12%+ in one pass, but on mine it takes 2 passes to get between 9-10% and running the RO longer raises the concentrate temp too much. Based on the fact that I am cutting back on taps and will never again have more than 500 taps, I don't see a better RO in my future. I can however do better thinning to help with the sugar%. I have about 1/3 of my bush never been thinned. The issue there is that that area is heavy in poison ivy, thus all thinning has to be done in the winter. I seem to be ok working there in winter, even though I wasn't good to years ago.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread