+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Lock Fittings - How and Where to Use

Default Cam Lock Fittings - How and Where to Use

This year, I am switching over to cam lock fittings on my hoses, pumps and tanks. They are great connectors; quick, easy to use, pretty much idiot proof. There are a few practical considerations though. Each connection must have a female "cam lock" fitting and a male "adaptor" fitting. On fixed units such as tanks, you can install either a cam lock or an adaptor on the drain fitting. Whichever one you use, whatever you connect to it (hose, pump, RO) must have the opposite fitting attached.

All my cam lock fittings are the same size, and I want to be able to use hoses and pumps interchangeably between all units. So I tried to work up a plumbing diagram which would give me the most flexibility. I could use cam locks on both ends of all hoses and adaptors on the tanks and pumps. But there are many situations where I connect my pump directly to the tank fitting, so two adaptors are not going to connect together. Also, are the hoses on the RO treated as a hose, or is the RO a pump?. So I modified my diagram to use cam locks on the inlets to all units, and adaptors on the outlets. This is better, but there still are situations where two similar fittings can't join together. In those cases, my option is to make an adaptor from two cam locks or two adaptors (similar fittings on either end of the adaptor). Another option is to have dedicated hoses and pumps for specific operations, but then you lose some flexibility.

I'm curious about how others have used these fitting and what your best practices are.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I seem to have good luck putting all of the “male “ camelock fittings on pumps, tanks. RO inlet feed , pump outlets
    And all my connector hoses or drain hoses have the female ends on both ends. Seems to work for me. I’m not gonna lie. I do have a small adaptor I made with 1 male connector on each end to connect 2 if need be. But since most Camloks are threaded there is always a way to quick fix it if need be.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I have all the female fittings (with the levers) on my pumps (both inlets & outlets) and tank outlets. I have all the male fittings on my hoses. That way there is no chance of the levers getting broken while being dragged on the ground, thrown in the truck, etc. I made up a few female x female "adapters" to put hoses together if need be. This set up has worked very well for me over the years and it doesn't matter which end of the hose I have in hand- it will always hook to the pump.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I like both of your options. I've tried to work it out both ways, and they do work most of the time. Like you guys said, you kind of need an adaptor or two when it just doesn't work for some particular instance. One nice thing with these treaded fittings is that I can try one setup, and if it just doesn't work out, try another. Everything I have has been setup to the same tread size.

It’s whatever works for you. I like keeping the female fittings on the hose end because the levers have more room to pull back to seal the camlock. I had it the other way before and found that the lock levers sometime didn’t close all the way because they were hitting something.
    They are great fittings. I use them for everything.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

We use cam locks for all our pumping. We also have the female ends on our hoses. We have 3 hoses. One 25’ hose with 1” cam locks on each end that goes from the pump outlet to the pump line. That line gets hooked up once a year and stays with the pump line. One 25’ hose with a 2” to 1” cam lock to attach to our totes on one end and a 1” cam lock on the other that attaches to the pump inlet. Then we have a shorter 10’ hose with a 1” cam lock on one end to go on the pump outlet with the other end open that empties to the haul tank in our trailer. Those are the two hoses we use to pump our 3 woods totes. Tiger flex hose rules too in case you’re wondering.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Yeah, whichever set up works better for you is the way to go. Everyone's pumping situation is a little different from the next guy's. Trying different things and seeing if they work, or work better, is part of the fun of syrup making.
    And I second the Tigerflex hose comment! It's awesome stuff. I should have changed over to it sooner. It would have saved a lot of hose wrestling!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Tiger flex???? Oh man. I really need some of that stuff. I'm sick of wrestling hoses.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

First of all, I don't know which setup is best, but I've pondered it myself as well.

Second, check these guys out. They sell stainless camlock fittings for cheaper than most places sell plastic ones. And, if you follow the link below, you'll see where they have some cool adapters, such as a male to make and female to female adapter.

https://www.proflow-dynamics.com/pro...couplings.html

Warning: they are in Corona California, but i think it'll be okay.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Just pick a method and use it. In my 2 hose sizes I have a few adapters, a double male and a double female fixes that. Unless all of your hoses reach from source to destination in one piece I thing those hoses should be one male and one female on the ends, but that's just my thinking.
    Where to buy, I've used ProFlow Dynamics and Brewer's Hardware, both carry SS cam locks. I have switched about 90% of my plastic cam locks to SS. I will have all changed to SS before next year. Since you do not pump hot thru those hoses I think you could also go with Aluminum cam locks. On my hot syrup hoses I use sanitary fittings, SS (tri-clover from Brewer's Hardware) and silicone hose for anything under pressure, if no pressure, like on my re-circulation line I use braid re-enforced vinyl..
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-18-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast