+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting spouts off end of season 3/16

Default Cutting spouts off end of season 3/16

Hey guys,

Quick question. I’m planning on cutting off my CV spouts, but leaving drops and lines up and intact.
    What’s the best way to plug lines during the off season?
    This is my first year with tubing and need some advice.

Thanks

Bryan
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Any I cut off at season's end I plug them with a purpose made little tapered plug. I forget who I bought them from, likely either Leader or D&G. Most I leave on, park them by pushing the tap onto the tee post or cup on each tee, then I replace them as I do repairs just before tapping.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I leave my taps on and stick them into the T. If the tap doesn't fit in tee for some reason I put a cap on them. I think if you cut them off now the give the bugs the whole summer to climb in an plug a line

Somewhere between Poultney and Bellows Falls

I was thinking about this one myself recently. I've always just plugged them into the T, then cut the CV off and replace during the following winter. But I wondered, since there are so many more spots for bacterial growth in the tap, does it spread into the drop more if the tap is left on? To clarify, if we cut the tap off at the end of the season, yet still plug the drop, would that lessen the bacterial growth in the drop during the off season?

Instead of plugging them into the tee, some people cut them off, then turn them around and plug the pointy end back into the drop. This allows you to "vacuum clean" your lines, and also avoids the problem of any un-evacuated sap pooling in a looped-over drop and getting nasty over the summer, because the drops hang straight down, and the turned-around check-valve allows any remaining sap/water to drain out.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

+ Reply to Thread