+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Bottle Question.

Default Weird Bottle Question.

Just finished a boil off and bottled three pints. Still have that dark stuff at the top of my bottles. Here's a pic

I'm guessing I'm not filtering enough. I filter off the pan once yellowish then finish boil on propane to about 218 filter then I finish inside on convection to about 220-221 and filter to bottles at 190. I'm using a standard coffee filter inside a camping style coffee urn with its own metal filter. Everything is sterile and clean. Even had my bottles warmed.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I've never had luck with coffee filters. I use pre-filters along with a wool filter and I still get a very small amount of niter from time to time. Usually, it's crystal clear. I'd try a different filter.

Thanks Raven, so this is what is considered niter? Wondered what that meant. Will it negatively affect my syrup? How do I get rid of it? Could I crack the bottles and remove it with a turkey baster or something?

Has to be a filtering issue as it's happened to all 7 bottles I've made.

Coats,
    Stop at your local maple supply place and grab a heavy felt filter along with a pack of prefilters. Put 3 or 4 of the prefilters together and then filter into the heavy one. Niter gone. Syrup, crystal clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Coatesy View Post
    Could I crack the bottles and remove it with a turkey baster or something?

Has to be a filtering issue as it's happened to all 7 bottles I've made.

If you let the bottles sit the nitre will settle to the bottom. Then you can pour clear stuff off the top and refilter the dirty stuff at the bottom. Coffee filters aren't fine enough to filter syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

It's not the end of the world but it looks like it is. As mentioned, it will settle but then you'll look at the bottom of the bottle. If it were me, I'd order pre-filters and a felt one. Open your bottles, pour them out, heat them up and filter hot. Bottle hot too. I think you'll be surprised at how much more comes out. As a side note, sometimes you just get a lot of niter. For whatever reason this (odd) year, I have more than usual although I have had some pan problems. I think you'll be quite happy with better filters.

PS...I can't bottle without a beverage either!!!

Thanks alot for the replies everyone. Probably just live with these ones and better filter the next batches. I almost have another 50G stored so will boil again this week.
    Alot of work this racket is but it is rewarding and my syrup tastes amazing. Wife made maple cake and icing tonight. Yum!!

A lot of work?! Must be we are talking about a different hobby, I found it easy and never frustrating?! Like when I am washing the (wooden) floor of the sugarhouse because my 9 year old didn’t close the valve on the head tank quite as far as it needed to. Or when it takes you draining the front pan ((2x3) several times to adjust insulation so your boil areas are correct. This is all such fun and did not make me consider on several occasions how much bulk syrup I could buy if I sold everything maple related right here and now!😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Being small scale as well, it doesn't make sense for me to waste time, money, syrup or aggravation filtering. I finish to syrup, let it settle for a few weeks, pour off good, combine the bad and let settle again, reheat and bottle good at 180F.image.jpg these have been settling for 1 and 2 weeks.

A good hydrometer to test syrup will be more accurate then thermometer alone. My thermometer is off by a few degrees so I dont really pay much attention to it. I suggest this as I tried to use a coffee filter last week for some syrup and it wouldnt even go through because it was too dense. I wonder if your syrup is only close to being syrup but not quite.
    Last edited by barnbc76; 03-15-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast