+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: cleaning with Star San

Quote Originally Posted by stoweski View Post
    I boiled some down inside last night on the stove. I didn’t get it all the way to syrup but it was definitely amber color. While it was boiling I didn’t notice any off flavored smell. We tasted it after it cooled and neither of us could taste an off flavor.
    So, as I do this for a hobby and have plenty of time after work this week to play around, I’m going to boil it all down tonight, let it cool, and pull it all off the evaporator. I’ll then wash out all of the tanks and evap and start over with fresh sap on Friday or Saturday. I’ll finish the stuff that was foamy and check it. Worst case is I have to dump it and lose a bit of firewood and propane to boil and finish. If it tastes fine I’ll keep it for our own use.

My wife told me I am more sensitive to funky smells and tastes. If something doesn’t smell or taste right to me I toss it. Better safe than sorry.

Our season got off to a rough start with a dead battery in my RTV, a leaky RO, a sap pump that wouldn’t start, a few tank leaks, plenty of fresh branches down from the high winds we’ve had, and more squirrel chews over the past two weeks. And then this. It was more than enough setbacks to make me just scrub this season and start over next year.

Thanks for the info & tips everyone! Much appreciated!!
    Thats good news.

Usually our imaginations reek havoc on our reality. I have to fight that one all the time too.

I used Starsan last year at the end of the season for a VERY persistent black mold. Rinsed with a bit of hot water at the beginning of this season. No black mold this year. I like to rinse everything with at least cold clean water. Especially things that have a film of concentrate left in them.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Well, the end result of me playing around with the foamy sap due to Starsan is hat it boiled down to some amber syrup. Unfortunately it had a slight aftertaste that I just didn’t want to take chances with and so I dumped it. Just about 4 gallons worth. I hated doing it but if I wouldn’t eat it I wouldn’t want to sell it.
    On the bright side, after rinsing out all of my tanks, evaporator, and RO, the foam hasn’t appeared anywhere and the rest of my syrup is great!
    Thought I’d let others know in case anyone ever comes across the same issue and is trying to figure out what to do.
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

Thanks for sharing. As hard as it is to do that, you did the right thing.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234