+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Inevitable Cloudy Sap Question

Default The Inevitable Cloudy Sap Question

I have half a tank (150gals) of cloudy sap collected this week. My last boil was Monday, and we have had above average temps since then. Last freeze was Sunday. Sap smells OK, but not great. Color seems a little off. I have not test boiled a sample, but may do so tomorrow. Forecast for the coming week looks promising. Is it even worth the trouble to test this batch, or just dump it and wait for the next run? I have sufficient wood supply to run it, but would rather not waste it on sub-par sap, or downgrade the sweetened sap in the pan. I would have to run this on Saturday if it's a go.

I'm over half my expected production for the season, but was hoping to beat last year. It's also such a small quantity that it seems inefficient to fire up for an hour or two to cook this off, particularly if better sap is coming.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Boil a sample and taste it, if it taste good boil it. I've made a lot of nice syrup with cloudy sap, including this week when that's what was coming in mid week.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Nothing wrong with cloudy sap, some cloudy sap may even have a slightly sour after taste but still makes perfectly good syrup. If you don’t have enough sap to fire up that’s a different problem and probably the same one we will have this morning. Time to go check the tanks, I hate dumping sap!!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Go ahead and boil it. Don't worry about the sweet in your pan, it's been partially boiled and sitting there for almost a week. It's going to make strong flavored dark or very dark syrup anyway.

Thanks for all the advice. I tested a sample and could not detect anything wrong with it. It wasn't even very dark. So, ran the RO for an hour or so and boiled for less than 3 hrs (shortest this year). This sap pushed out about 5 gallons that were in the pan, plus a little of the cloudy sap (now syrup). All seems good.

Glad I ran it. Forecast looks promising this week, so I'm all set for whatever comes. I'm potentially at 3/4 of my target for the season, but if things hold on, I could easily exceed it.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

+ Reply to Thread