+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature 222% for syrup ?

Default Temperature 222% for syrup ?

Been doing syrup for 15 years and normally at 219 its syrup this year my first boil finishing off 5 gallons the temperature was 222% so now I am one my second batch and looks like 221 or 222 will be syrup
    I have two thermometer's and two Hydrometer so I tried them both and they came up with the same thing DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM THIS YEAR?
    Backyard sapper

Mason 2X4 XL with blower
    12x24 post and beam shack
    30 taps on 5-Gallon buckets
    134 taps on tubing into the shack
    15-30 gallons a year for family and friends

been a lot of high pressure weather systems

I had the opposite "problem" this year. I had a day it boiled at 216.5 if you can believe it! To be fair however I am about 850 or so feet above sea level which can effect it as well

that was boiling water!
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Alot of times I set my thermometer to how the syruy sheets. The ole sheeting never changes!! Once you get accustomed to it it's pretty accurate. I can generally tell within a couple brix by the sheets.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I use a Marcland barometer/boil meter. I'm at 470' elevation and my draw temps this year have ranged from 218.2 up to 220.4. I get those by taking the barometer reading at that time and add 7.3 F. I think last year I had a time or 2 when a draw temp was a little over 221F but not by much. I really like the Marcland Baro/Boil meter, it quickly gives me the accurate boil temperature so I can make adjustments as often as needed. I used to just draw at 219.3 and then adjust as needed, now I find very little adjusting necessary.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have been finishing between 222.5 and 223.5 this season. I am at about 30 feet above sea level
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

I start every bottling session with a careful comparison between the hydrometer and the thermometer. When I've settled on today's temperature, I write it on the blackboard and work to that temp for the rest of the day. If there's a major change in the days weather, I check again Over the past week we've made syrup from 219 to 221.2 degrees on different days,

I never use the sheeting method. I can take a scoop of syrup where the hydrometer almost does not float and make it sheet thinking the syrup is done but it's not. I also don't pay a lot of attention to temperature. My hydrometers have been checked and are accurate, that's the only thing I trust to make sure my syrup is correct density. I adjust my auto draw to open when my hydrometer says it is ready.

The only thing I use temperature for is to determine when I should unpack the Hydrometer. I had a day this year when both my thermometers went down. I never even missed a beat. Since I finish on propane I can pretty much look at the pot and figure when I need to check with a hydrometer. For the two days before my new thermometer arrived I did find myself checking more often, oddly I was heavy more than I was light.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I'm almost always around 220 or 221....sometimes 222. I have two thermometers (different brands) and it's all about the same for me. 250 feet above sea level. First year or so I was frustrated in that I would boil outside until 219 and then bring into the house where I'd still be finishing for an hour based on the hydrometer readings. Now, I just watch the bubbles and the pan outside tells me when it's nearly ready to be finished. I still check with the thermometer just to know what it reads but it's the hydrometer that tells the real story. It took a while for me to "read" the bubbles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast