+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter press first experience.

Default Filter press first experience.

Used my wesfab short stack for the first time tonight.
    It worked. But I think I added to much DE. Or charged the press initially with too much DE

I had about 7 gallons of syrup. Roughly around 212 temperature , Basically right off the evaporator.
    I added 9 cups of DE to about 3 gallons and prechargrd the press untill it was nice and hot and syrup was comming out beautifully clear.
    I added the remaining 4 gallons and added 3 cups of DE to that and let it run through press. The pressure started to slowly climb and hit 60 psi. So I shut it down.
    I had no idea what I should do at this point. And didn’t want my syrup to get cold. So I took the last 2 plates off and emptied them and put new papers in and closed the press back up again. It worked fine after this.

#1 - I’m pretty sure I didn’t need that much DE for 7 gallons of syrup ( I was worried if I didn’t add enough it wouldn’t filter properly.
    #2 - I totally forgot about the bypass. Didn’t use it at all. Is it normal to use it? Or just in an emergency. ?
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

We have the same press. Try 4-5 cups of DE. We can get around 10 gallons thru before pressure starts to build. And yes- the bypass valve can be opened if pressures get too high.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I had a short stack Wes Fab and 9 cups was the max capacity. I used 3 cups to precharge it and mixed the other 6 in with my syrup. On smaller amounts of syrup 1 cup per 2 gallons after the initial charge worked good unless there was a lot of nitre, then I added more but didn't exceed the 9 cups total.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

If you go back to the Bottling and Filtering forum, Page 31 Date 3-27-15 "How much Diatomaceous Earth" I posted a formula that I developed for the proper amount of DE. Figure out how much DE volume your hollow plates hold, charge your first syrup with 20% of that amount, then add about 1/2 cup of DE to each additional gallon of syrup you filter. If you add to much DE, it will pack the hollow plates and stop filtering.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

I’ll be using it again Friday. So I’m gonna definitely not use as much DE this time. I was always under the understanding that plates had to be full of DE to filter properly.
    So if I only had say 3 gallons to filter it would be ok to charge it with 3 cups DE . Then say 1 cup with the rest of syrup. Plates would be half full more or less.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

The plates do not have to be full to filter. You want to start with the pre-charge to coat the papers with DE and then continuously ad DE to form new layers of DE for filtering.

I would suggest finding out exactly how much DE it will take to fill the hollow plates so that you will know how many cups of DE it will take to meet the 20% pre-charge.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

As Joe stated the plates do not have to be full. You will get more filtering capacity (niter removal for a lack of better description) but as Russ noted there is a max. capacity where everything clogs. It sounds like you may batch filter similar to what we do. We do 5-10 gallons at a time depending on the grade difference and how fast we're making syrup. We mix in 4 cups of DE, maybe 5 whether it's 5 gallons or 10 gallons and it has worked for us.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I start on a new set of papers in early and mid season (7" 5 bank) using 1.5 cups in 2-3 gal of syrup at just over 200F. I filter back into the mixing tank until the syrup out of the filter discharge sparkles. Then it gets sent to either my bottler or to a barrel. Then on each additional batch of about 6 gal, I mix in about 1 cup and filter it. I repeat until the barrel is full.
    You do not want the plates full, that is when the press needs to get a new set of papers.
    Later in the season I use more DE.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Filter presses work better if hot. When starting to filter in a press, use the bypass valve to slowly introduce syrup into the press, with the bypass going back to the drawoff tank or finishing pan. Continue opening the bypass until the press is fully hot and the syrup is running clear, then switch over to the drum. If the press cools down, use the bypass to heat it up again slowly.

Good video on maple syrup filtering at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqv...&index=2&t=12s
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-11-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

My second time using the press yesterday went way better. Was able to put about 25 gallons through it.
    I was drawing off about a gallon everY 25 minutes. So I waited untill I had 5 or so gallons to start the press. My canner will hold 10 gallons. So I probley could of waited. But wanted to start bottling.
    I put 3-4 cups in the initial charge. Then 1/2 cup per gallon after that. Worked great.
    At 1 point I forgot to add DE to a 2 gallon batch. But it still came out crystal clear.
    I’m assuming since at this point I would of had 8 cups of de inside the press already that not adding fresh DE to 2 gallons is ok. ?
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast