+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Underground?

Default Underground?

Sooo... the wife wants to start a business, and me and my father both are obsessed with maple syrup.
    We are looking at a piece of land, which I walked today, I figure there are between 5-7000 taps available on 100 acres.
    The numbers are fair for taps, but I have a major concern, there the power corporation has their main distribution line running through the land. I dont know where they would stand with mainline being run across their right of way, if it would be allowed in any way.

My question is, has anyone ever ran mainline under ground? I am thinking of a sort of weather-head to keep elements out, but to allow expansion and contraction. Then running it through a large diameter PVC or ABS across the 100-150' distance.
    Input?
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

I have 21,000 taps and the majority of our mainlines are buried. We use schedule 40 PVC in 10 foot lengths. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. Kinda busy right now but will try to get on here again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the deed, they may have just a right of way. Veterinarian, not a lawyer but might want to find out before you start underground lines because it may not be necessary. Doc

I agree the power company must have an easement and you will need to follow those provissions.

On underground lines, I've never installed any except thru a culvert. I think the big challenges are-
    - continuing your hydraulic gradienr and no significant sags or humps
    - getting below frost depth
    - avoiding rock excavation and boulders
    - the cost and availability of sand bedding material

I also agree you need to use stick pipe. Coiled pipe will not lay flat in the trench
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I know a number of producers who run underground mainlines. Keeping them flowing downhill and , if possible, below the frost line is key. We run mainlines across a hydro line in 4 locations. Hydro doesn't own the land - it is an unopened concession road. The terrain is so rocky that there's no way they can get up there other than on foot. In Ontario, hydro almost never owns the land - they are a tenant unless it's a primary high voltage (240kV) distribution corridor.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread