+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple lollipops

Default Maple lollipops

Sorry, I’m a rookie when it comes to making candy out of syrup, but I’ve been cooking sap for years. Just bought my first lollipop mold so I can try making a few for my kids and some family members. I searched this thread and also google and found various things. I see lots of recipes that call for adding butter or heating to 300 degrees to make the hard candy lollipops.

From what I’ve read for making maple candy, it’s mostly heat up to 235 and pour into a mild. Maybe I have to stir for a bit, I fogot the YouTube video already but my question is, can I simply keep my lollipops at 100 pure maple by simply using that syrup at 235 degrees and pour into my lollipop mold with the stick in it? I assume it’s just a maple candy on a stick using a different mold at that point, right?

Thanks I’m advance.

Chris
    2014 - 15 taps
    2015 - 20 taps
    2016 - 25 taps
    2017 - 60 taps - added sugar shack and first evaporator
    2018 - 70 taps on Bags
    2019 - 90 taps - new 2x4 corsair with hybrid pro pan from Smokey Lake

I've only made the hard candy lollipops. You might try this: https://mapleresearch.org/pub/confec...th-edition-2-2
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

If you are looking for a lollipop type candy 235 degrees is nowhere near rock candy.
    The link above that Doug listed lists ingredients and instructions. Very good resource.
    It is all explained in chapter 7 section 6 page 98.
    Temperature needed for rock candy is 300 to 305 degrees. Pure maple syrup burns at this temperature and these instructions list two different ways to overcome this.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Default Lollipops

I make 100% pure maple syrup lollipops ( nothing added)by cooking to 320 degrees and quickly pouring into mold. The secret is to raise temp slowly so you don’t burn it. Use a size pan that allows you to keep sufficient depth of syrup or it will scorch.

+ Reply to Thread