+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our sugar maple is dying

Ok. Ron and I agree not to let it suffer. If anyone has the equipment to take it down safely.. Firewood or whatever. Contacting village later anyway. This is so sad. Will post another full pic later to get better idea of size

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    When woodpeckers drill holes in homes people think that it must be the insects they are after but this is NOT necessarily true.

I
    Woodpeckers communicate through their pecking or drumming. Hearing a woodpecker peck on a house or something else man made seems odd to us, but the bird has found something...like a soffit or fascia board on a house....that has a cavity behind it and acts like a perfect drum. The sound travels farther.

I have no idea if they build nests in houses? But communication is certainly one reason you see them drumming on houses or telephone poles or parked cars etc.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Have a major power line running between two bushes. Hydro company has replaced one of the poles three times now,needs to be replaced again as a pileated woodpecker has got a hole right through the pole that you could throw a football through. He did the exact same thing with previous poles,and they are the green pressure treated poles. He will also fly down to the releaser building next door and bang away on the tin to resonate through the bush
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We had a woodpecker that would go around our neighborhood pecking on the wood siding of houses. Just marking his territory. Poked a few small holes in our siding until he took a liking to our metal chimney. Seemed to love that because it was really LOUD, and his rounds started at sun-up. I'd run outside and he'd fly away, then come back as soon as I went inside. Finally I got up on the roof with some Tanglefoot (very sticky) and put it on the chimney where he pecked. A short time later we heard one single peck...then never another.

Our bird problem now is keeping the darn gulls off our boat. Got it mainly figured out (bird spiders), but leave it uncovered for 10 min and they're all over it.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Latest update on our sugar maple. Back in June had alot of limbs taken out. Trimmer was suppossed to come back to get the high dead stuff. Haven't seen him. Poor tree. Neighbors stop by to say in it's younger days was really beautiful. One big section needs to come down. Totally dried out and dead. Not much left....so sad

This coming spring plant a new sugar maple in its place for future generations. Maybe not so close to where it will be affected by the power lines or salt. I know this will not replace the big old tree, but you will have the satisfaction of starting another in its place. Possibly for 100+ years, who knows.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12