+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RO Bucket Flow Rate

Default RO Bucket Flow Rate

I first used my RO bucket Saturday and it seemed to work well. I followed the instructions when not using it for 24 hours, but it ended up being 48 before I used it again (today). I put a new filter in it. I've only produced 20 gallons of concentrate in 4 hours - 5 g/hr seems low.

I've verified the flow is 50/50 a few times by measuring the flow from the two hoses in cups. The system is running at approx 118psi.

What do others get from their system. Mine is a RO20.

Do you have the kit with 4x 400gpd membranes? 25-30 gallons per hour of raw sap resulting in 15 gallons per hour is what is listed on the website, so your results do seem low.
    what is the temperature of your sap? that plays a role in the throughput (I forget if cold or warm sap is slower). I usually process mine around 40*F.

double check that you connected everything correctly. https://www.therobucket.com/wp-conte...07/RB20Kit.pdf
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

For 50/50, that is low. I've got the RB20 kit and have yet to see near 25 gph, but 10 is quite low. I'll get 16gph total with ~40 degree sap at 1/3 concentrate and 2/3 permeate ratio (yes, not advised). Time for a good membrane wash?
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Okay I’ll do a membrane cycle. Can’t believe I fouled them after one use. I knew this stuff was too complicated for me

Reach out to Carl at sales@therobucket.com. He has been a great help with my RO bucket.
    Last edited by BoerBoel; 03-10-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling

I've got the rb20 kit and used for first time this weekend. I was getting 12 gallons per hour of concentrate the first day. Second day was closer to 15. Guessing warmer sap the second run helped but that's only a guess
    2020 first season ever, wife to be said she wanted to give out maple syrup @ upcoming wedding. I get carried away easy.
    100 taps on 3/16. 30 buckets. 12x20 sugar shack. 3x4 flat pan on barrel arch. Rb 20 kit RO. Tapping in iron county Michigan.

Here is my insight based on hands-on experience - hoping to offer some help:

My flow rates for the RO Bucket improve markedly as the temperature increases. I regularly concentrate up to 8% on a single pass because I start the night before and let it process overnight into the next day. That said, I routinely flush the system with permeate water (at least 10-gallons) after every 120-150 gallons of sap processed. This helps keep the membranes from fouling. In addition, I replace the 5-micron filter between every 150-200 gallons processed (ideally, when you wash the membranes). When I replace the filter, I first wash the system with 10-gallons of permeate water, then replace the filter, then do another 10-gallon permeate water wash. Make sure you open-up the concentrate needle valve wide when washing the membranes and monitor closely the water cloudiness and the volume coming off the unrestricted permeate line. When the water is clear and the permeate flow is a decent stream, the system is good to go back to running sap. I'm three years using the system this way (3-membranes and a low pressure pump feeding the high pressure pump), and my processing rates are still very good. I've had continued contact with Carl since my purchase, and he has been very helpful, and will likely weigh-in when he has a moment.
    Last edited by 30AcreWoods; 03-11-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

Great info everyone. Thanks. I traded emails with Carl yesterday and he provided assistance as well. Things worked much better last night. It was drawing in 20l of sap in 13 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread