+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Understanding the Murphy Compensation Cup

Only the boiling point of water changes with barometric changes. Temperature and density remain constant.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    Only the boiling point of water changes with barometric changes. Temperature and density remain constant.
    Hmm? Yes - I see what you mean...
    Took a little head scratching for a minute.. but I think I have my head wrapped around it.

When I calibrate my thermometer, I am just adjusting it to match the boiling temperature of water, (which is not necessarily 212)... in order to have a reference for 7 degrees hotter for syrup..(which is not necessarily 219).

So for use with a hydrometer, I should want to use a thermometer that is calibrated for absolute temperature...(not compensated for boiling)
    (But being that a 1% change in Brix is equal to about 19 degrees difference in temp, on the smokey lake hydrometer chart... A thermometer would need to be off quite a bit to make a significant error).
    Last edited by wmick; 03-12-2020 at 11:06 AM.

the First couple times I used it I would do a test. Then leave the syrup in the Murphy cup with the hydrometer for a while.
    Maybe 10 minutes. And the readings would be different then the original first reading at say 25-30 seconds.
    I contacted smoky lake and inquired about it. You would think as the temp goes down the hydrometer would as well. But they told me for best results take the reading in the first 30 seconds when the temp gauge stops moving. . So now that’s how I do it. If it sits for any longer then a minute I test a new sample.
    I tested my Murphy cup last night with water and 3 thermometers and the temp gauge on the Murphy cup was still bang on accurate. I did notice as the water cooled that the digital thermometer was quicker to respond then the Murphy cup. So this is maybe why the readings as the syrup cools down are not accurate if left in syrup as it cools.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Curious if there is anyone in Ontario or even Canada to get that Murphy Float. Smoky Lake isn't shipping to Canada at the moment.
    Rebuilding maple bush from over 100 years of use and abuse
    Lots of bees and woodenware building.
    Heritage and rare poultry, Heritage Rare Breed Pigs and Goats
    Preserving and Fermenting
    Working hard at self-sufficiency and small business.
    And still have a day job to pay for the hobbies lol.

randolphvt Guest

What I recall is boil water and take the temp. Not everyone is 212. I'm 213 due to 740ft of elevation-so 220 for me. It's always 7 over boiling point of water where you are.

randolphvt Guest

Oops I think I replied to the first post and not the last. Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123