+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Korney Keg Top Removal ???

Default Korney Keg Top Removal ???

I batch boil then finish on propane. I would like to use some Korney Kegs I got and drain my nearup into them for a better way to transfer and hold it till I finish. I would like to make them a little more user friendly, easier to pour out of so I would like to remove the plastic top. Is there an easy way to do that? I don't want to damage the kegs. I also removed the valves and will silver braze stainless steel rods into those openings that will have a heat prof handle attached Thanks Jay
    Zucker Lager

I don't know about the type with a plastic ring around the top with handles molded into that ring. The type I used but later decided a different method would be better. In the meantime my production got big enough that I use 16 gal and 26.5 gal barrels (and 1 CDL 16 gal keg) For the more common type of Korny kegs I now think the best way is to weld a cover on the opening with a 2" half coupler welded on over a hole appropriately sized then use barrel bung plugs, I like the plastic ones better, because the chance of messing up the threads on the keg are very unlikely from cross threading and those plugs are about $1 ea.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

B8C8723A-0928-47FF-995A-5E152AC1E71B.jpgI hated my corny kegs till I had this made. Drilled a hole where the relief valve was and had a piece of 1.5” pipe welded on. Now I can pour without the mess
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I like that idea Wiam thanks. Do you seal the kegs with standard covers then use the modified cap for just pouring?? Jay
    Zucker Lager

My issue with Korny kegs was that they are designed to seal on pressure, as the hot syrup cools it pulls air into the keg. That is why I converted them.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

OK so I took the kegs gave them a good bear hug and wacked the top handle as hard as I could with a 2 pound hammer about ten times..................nada. So are they just glued on or some kind of fastener molded into it??? I see on a brewery site guys talking about sawing them off with a hand saw ?? I still want to take these tops off they are all beat up and cracked anyhow. Like I said I just don't want to damage the tank. Jay
    Zucker Lager

I ended up cutting off the tops using a very coarse tooth saw then a sharp large wood chisel it cut easily and once down to metal I could just scrape then polish it all. I cut the relief valve off and installed a half coupling, Yes I know should have brazed in stainless instead of brass but my operation is just for family and friends. Then I used stainless screws and food grade gaskets to install the stainless handle rods through the keg fittings. Now I just have to make a pour cover like Wiam has and I"m all set. Thanks for the help Jay
    Cap Mod.jpg
    Zucker Lager

+ Reply to Thread