+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3/16 sanitation

This season I used Art Krueger's method a little modified. I used 400 ppm chlorine water solution in every tap in January, tapped January 23rd but didn't get any sap until March 3rd. Last sap was March 23rd but I harvested more sap in this year's 3 week season then I did last season. The only other change is that I am in the process of changing over to zap bac spouts.
    I am still getting sap, just stopped keeping it when the syrup went buddy.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 03-29-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Default 3/16 sanitation.

I plan to sanitize my 3/16 this year. Squirrels are a problem, so I hesitate to use regular bleach. Any suggestions? Also what concentration should be used? I am willing to use bleach if there is no other choice. There is a clear difference in performance of my newly installed lines and the older ones. I am still getting a good flow on the new ones, but the old are done.

Art Krueger Youtube

This thread is super helpful. Thanks to Dr. Tim and everyone else for sharing their knowledge and guidance. First year with tubing was last year, left the system up this summer, planning on changing the seasonal taps from last year to CV taps this year. Has anyone ever tried flushing with lysol or a similar cleaning agent? I can get a gallon jug at the local warehouse supplier, but wondering if it'll leave a taste or effect the tubing at all. With the shortage on chlorine this year, is there a bleach alternative that makes sense for fall sanitization of tubing? Thanks again.
    1990's: Dad ran a buckets and cinder block evaporator, dragged us kids along.
    2020: 35 buckets over a cinder block evaporator
    2021: Smoky Lake Dauntless with a divided pan. 45 taps on 3/16 tubing and another 45 buckets. Set up in a Lean-to off the side of the shed

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

I would STRONGLY advise against using Lysol or any other non-approved sanitizer.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Noted!! Thanks again!
    1990's: Dad ran a buckets and cinder block evaporator, dragged us kids along.
    2020: 35 buckets over a cinder block evaporator
    2021: Smoky Lake Dauntless with a divided pan. 45 taps on 3/16 tubing and another 45 buckets. Set up in a Lean-to off the side of the shed

go to a pool shop and buy a 1 lb bag of powdered chlorine. With 45 taps it will make enough solution to last you two years or more. Including washing tanks
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Default Frequency of changing drops and fittings on 3/16

I was looking for information on 3/16 and found this thread. Dr Tim says change fittings and drops every 3 years. Is that after 2 years of use and before the 3rd year or after 3 years of use? I’m on an after 3rd year of use rotation and I just wanted to make sure. I have seen a steady decline in production each year but my 3/16 always out produces my 5/16 on moderate vacuum so I’m still very happy. My woods with 5/16 has minimal drop while my other 2 woods are perfect for 3/16. I haven’t sanitized my lines either so I think I’ll do that late fall/early winter next year and see what that does for me. Thanks for any information anyone can share.

Chris
    Heath Run Maple Products
    Ulysses PA
    3100 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123