+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/16 sanitation

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post

CV spouts (or adapters) will produce slightly lower sap yields than the former treatments, but cost is low (primarily due to reduced labor and lack of rinsing or letting sap run on the ground), so net profits are high.

Attachment 21216
    I've been following this thread closely. Thank you for all the great info.

Question on the use of CV Spouts and the strategy for their usage you are describing. Are the same spouts used every year. and is there any other sanitation done in this scenario?
    Last edited by Dundee Ridge; 03-11-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    2x4 Smokey Lake Corsair
    Smokey Lake SSR Raised Flue Pans
    152 taps on 3/16 gravity
    25 buckets
    Goat, Pigs, Chickens

[QUOTE=sugarsand;381620]
    Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I get good results but I change the taps, and all fittings after year 1 and the drop are new after 3 seasons.[/QUOTE
    I may be missing something, you change your taps and fittings each year but not the drops?
    Yes, I cut off old taps and tees plus any connectors in the 3/16 line and replace with new ones in years 2 and 3, then in year 4, new drops with the tap and tee, then I also cut out all connectors and put in new ones. The tees and connectors are where debris can plug the fittings. During the season I also look for plugged fittings, if I find one, it gets replaced.
    This method has served me well in 2018 and 2019 to average .5 gal syrup/tap on 26-27" vacuum. Unless this weather gets better, I won't likely get 1/2 gal/tap this year, I will need lots of additional freeze thaw cycles, but my first boil last year was about March 15 if I recall, this year I've already had 5 boils.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee Ridge View Post
    Are the same spouts used every year. and is there any other sanitation done in this scenario?
    With 3/16" tubing there are two things required.

1. Minimum of flushing lines with water. Sanitizer is preferred followed by flushing (or allowing first sap to run on the ground). An ALTERNATIVE to flushing is to replace ALL fittings (tees, unions and saddles if you use mainline) at least every 3rd year. This is done to reduce/prevent clogging.

2. Spout/drop sanitation. Similar to 5/16" tubing. Minimum is to replace spouts annually and replace drops every 3rd year. ALTERNATIVE is to use new CV spouts annually and not replace drops every 3rd yr (although you still need to accomplish #1 somehow). Another ALTERNATIVE is to wash with chlorine (preferably in fall), rinse, and use new spouts annually. This is done to achieve good sanitation at the taphole to produce high yields.

New spouts are used EVERY year.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    This method has served me well in 2018 and 2019 to average .5 gal syrup/tap on 26-27" vacuum. Unless this weather gets better, I won't likely get 1/2 gal/tap this year, I will need lots of additional freeze thaw cycles, but my first boil last year was about March 15 if I recall, this year I've already had 5 boils.
    Have faith Dave. You might get there. Still plenty early
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I thought I’d revisit this thread one year later. So even though it took 3 people two days each time, we washed all 2600 taps of 3/16 tubing with calcium hypochlorite BOTH last spring and this winter. Phew! It was annoying but wow. The sap ran proportionally in ALL the lines all season. Two year old lines, one year old lines, and new lines. We’ve had some very warm weather and they’re still running buddy sap. I am very pleased. I am hoping that I can keep washing the lines twice, and avoid having any biofilm buildup, and not have to replace lines or drops for many years. I’ll keep putting a new spout on each year.
    2400 taps all 3/16 gravity
    New CDL 600 GPH RO that is freaking awesome
    4x14 Leader/CDL rig with a steam-away
    Still havin' fun

Springshillmaple, thanks for sharing and updating your experience.
    This is my 1st year and I am running 3/16 gravity and some buckets. Gravity is such a improvement in production per tap compared to my buckets. I am a small hobby producer so stretching the life of tubing is appealing not to mention the consistency you have achieved.
    When you state you "wash" the lines, are you pumping the calcium hypochlorite through the line or spraying it into the drop lines with a hand sprayer? Sounds like you are happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    With 3/16" tubing there are two things required.

1. Minimum of flushing lines with water. Sanitizer is preferred followed by flushing (or allowing first sap to run on the ground). An ALTERNATIVE to flushing is to replace ALL fittings (tees, unions and saddles if you use mainline) at least every 3rd year. This is done to reduce/prevent clogging.

2. Spout/drop sanitation. Similar to 5/16" tubing. Minimum is to replace spouts annually and replace drops every 3rd year. ALTERNATIVE is to use new CV spouts annually and not replace drops every 3rd yr (although you still need to accomplish #1 somehow). Another ALTERNATIVE is to wash with chlorine (preferably in fall), rinse, and use new spouts annually. This is done to achieve good sanitation at the taphole to produce high yields.

New spouts are used EVERY year.
    Dr. Tim,

Thanks for all your input on this - and the videos are great. All my lines come down each year, so I cut the drops off and soak them in chlorine in a tub for 10-15 minutes. They dry then get stored in a closed tub until next spring. Should I give them a soak in the fall instead or is that just for drops in the woods? The drops are stored in the sugarhouse where they do get freezing winter temps.

Cutting the drops has been a game changer for taking down lines, making sanitizing drops easier, and reducing clogs by getting a new tee each year. Full disclosure, I've been re-using the CVs for years 2 and 3. They get sanitized with the rest of the drop. I replace broken or stained ones, but most go back out. One area just had year 3 and I'm replacing those drops as part of my 3-year intervals. I haven't noticed a significant drop in production from previous years or other lines. Is that just dumb luck and the variables of a small operation and weather or is sanitizing the spout years 2 and 3 having a benefit?

If I continue to sanitize by cutting the drop and change the tee and the spout annually my cost per tap jumps and I'm effectively replacing drops every year. I'd go back to squirting sanitizer in the drop, leaving the tee for years 2 and 3, and replacing the CV each year.

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

If your drops are sanitized and then stored dry until they are redeployed in the spring you're fine.

CVs are designed to be replaced annually. The risk of reusing them is that biofilm can form on the ball and make them less likely to seal properly if reused.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Got it. Back to leaving the drops on then (the not fun way of putting up and taking down laterals). Thanks for the feedback.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodmeister View Post
    Springshillmaple, thanks for sharing and updating your experience.
    This is my 1st year and I am running 3/16 gravity and some buckets. Gravity is such a improvement in production per tap compared to my buckets. I am a small hobby producer so stretching the life of tubing is appealing not to mention the consistency you have achieved.
    When you state you "wash" the lines, are you pumping the calcium hypochlorite through the line or spraying it into the drop lines with a hand sprayer? Sounds like you are happy with the results.

Most of our lines are long with a substantial drop and 20-30 taps. We have someone walk across the tops of the lines with buckets of bleach solution. The bucket lids each have a hole for some sapline to use as a siphon. They clip off the last spout, and let gravity suck it down until the line is full of solution. If it doesn’t suck on it’s own, you just start it by siphoning. It helps to hang the bucket on a spout or on a nearby branch. A person at the bottom waits for bleach to run through, and then kinks the end of the line and slips a 3/4” ring (cut from old mainline) over the kink to block the flow. With the last drop line still siphoning from the bucket at the top, each tap is pulled, allowed to flow through with bleach, then plugged into the t. Then the top spout is plugged into the t and we move the bucket to the next line. Each long line uses about 1.5-2 gallons to clean. It’s an annoying task, but I’m just glad to find something that works well, even if it takes extra effort.
    2400 taps all 3/16 gravity
    New CDL 600 GPH RO that is freaking awesome
    4x14 Leader/CDL rig with a steam-away
    Still havin' fun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast