+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from WNY

Default Hi from WNY

Hi from Western NY! This will be my first year making Maple Syrup. My folks own some property with a mix of maple trees, Poplar, Cherry. so i decided to build an arch and get a pan. I did a test last night with just water and I have about 40 gal of sap on hand to boil.

I've been lurking on here for several months getting ideas and learning from you all. Thanks!!! Hopefully I can make a decent batch this year.

Evap.jpg

Welcome Mapl3Mike. Half way thru your season you will be addicted. And there is no looking back!
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Hey mapl3m1ke, welcome to the fun. Looks like you'll be making a good amount of syrup soon. Just as a suggestion, you might want to try smaller diameter wood, it gives you a better boil though you will have to load more frequently.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbc76 View Post
    Hey mapl3m1ke, welcome to the fun. Looks like you'll be making a good amount of syrup soon. Just as a suggestion, you might want to try smaller diameter wood, it gives you a better boil though you will have to load more frequently.
    Thank you for the tip! I will split the larger pieces again. We had a warm spell but the weather looks to be turning favorable again here in my neck of the woods. Super excited

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    Welcome Mapl3Mike. Half way thru your season you will be addicted. And there is no looking back!
    Thanks for the welcome Z Man!

+ Reply to Thread