+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is my pan still usable????

Default Is my pan still usable????

The temp said 210 and the hygrometer went to the bottom of the Murphy Cup so I figured it was safe to leave for a bit. I walked into my house and when I came back out the center flow looked like caramel bubbling up and both the feed and draw off thermometers showed 225. I flooded the pan with water and after cleaning up I noticed a dip in my center lane.

The pictures show there is some separation between the floor and the divider. It seems to let a small amount of liquid across. It is about 8 inches before the turn to the center. Can it still be used?

Thanks

Center.jpgFeed Side.jpgLeak.jpg

Probably. I think the quality of the build is in question. Anyone else?

I would use it but watch it like a hawk. The pan might act differently than before. Sweet might back up at that low spot. I don't think that would happen, did you have any charring?
    Last edited by Ed R; 03-08-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Yes I did. Most of it came off by soaking it in a vinegar solution. I had to scrub a bit off with a stiff brush and some stubborn spots I used a plastic buddy knife.

There will be some sugar/sweet passage under the partition where it's warped. It may not even be noticeable when you're boiling. After the season you should probably find someone that can weld the seam under the partition.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thanks for the feedback.
    I gave it a go and after it got boiling I could not tell any difference in using it as the feed/center side.
    Good news is some burnt sap that was under the lip came loose so when "repairs" are made it will metal on metal.
    Thanks again.

I imagine that gap will fill up with nitre and probably burn enough to seal it. You won't notice any change in syrup quality.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I have a couple minor warps (1/8 in) in my syrup pan as it was a used set. It still runs fine.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Use it. But I would find a local guy and just have him put pressure on it and re-tig it. It is a quick cheap fix and couple of spot welds would have it pretty well back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

I would use it as is and find someone to fix it after the season. Heck, it might even draw a little bit better when drawing off the side that it is leaking towards.

+ Reply to Thread