+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 55 gallon blue storage barrel from Bascom Maple

Default 55 gallon blue storage barrel from Bascom Maple

Last year I bought one of the 55 gallon blue storage barrels that comes with the removable and clamp sealing lid, from Bascoms Maple.

Has anybody had a problem with the foam gasket that is around the circumference of the lid to these barrels breaking down at all and thus getting into the barrel and sap?
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

I had some barrels like that that started smelling awful and I figured out it was the lid gasket. You should be able to get a flat screwdriver in under the gasket and work it out of the lid and throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Last year I bought one of the 55 gallon blue storage barrels that comes with the removable and clamp sealing lid, from Bascoms Maple.

Has anybody had a problem with the foam gasket that is around the circumference of the lid to these barrels breaking down at all and thus getting into the barrel and sap?
    I have 4 of those, and a few gaskets have fallen off. I don't lock the lids on anymore, as I use an IBC tote to transport. But I used to. They didn't disintegrate, they just fell off. These drums are about 5 years old, and still used every season.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

4 years and no smell or seal issues yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
    I had some barrels like that that started smelling awful and I figured out it was the lid gasket. You should be able to get a flat screwdriver in under the gasket and work it out of the lid and throw them away.

You would think I would be smart enough to think of that idea. No need for that tight of a seal on this barrel. Thanks. Was thinking of using some cooking oil on the foam gasket to keep it from sticking/freezing to the polymer flange on the barrel. But I think I will go the screwdriver route and just rip that thing out and wipe it clean.

Thanks to all.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
    So I did get a screwdriver under the gasket and remove it, but it by no means came out cleanly. The gasket obviously had some adhesive on it which made the surface of it rip away and stick to the polymer lid slot along with tiny pieces of foam from the gasket itself.

Any thoughts on a food grade rated abrasive I can use to spend a few hours/days scrubbing that foam/glue out of that lid slot. I like to have my sap nice and clean and without even the smallest bits of foam in it before boiling. And of course I would like to be able to take that sap from the 55 gallon barrel straight to the pans without having to filter it.

+ Reply to Thread