+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That didn't take long..

Default That didn't take long..

Wife came in with our 2-year-old daughter after work today, while I was boiling.
    She didn't understand how the float boxes and pans all worked together, so I twas trying to explain how the continuous flow works, and how closely a fella has to pay attention while boiling.
    Just as I say this, I look in the first channel of my syrup pan, and start bailing raw sap into it. I then tell her that it only takes a second to boil sap too far down or to scorch a pan. I shut down about 15 mins later, hoping for the best, and let the rig cool off.
    I just went out In the dark to empty buckets once more before we have a hard freeze tonight and tomorrow, then checked out the pan. I have a soccer-ball sized burn in my syrup pan now. Guess tomorrow's task is to drain that out and start cleaning....
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

Copper scrubbing pad and a copper pipe flattened out will scrape it off without damaging stainless if it isn't too far gone.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

I dont see any warping, so that's a start.
    I will go have a.look and assess the situation tomorrow and take things from there.
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

Filter and taste the sweet before you throw it out. If it doesn't taste to bad finish it to syrup. You can find a use for it, things like BBQ sauce and baked beans come to mind.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I tasted it last night when I shut down, it has a hint of smoky flavor, but otherwise it's fine. Dark as all get-out though. Might be good stuff to try making some sugar or candies with.

Your experience is like many of us. In my case I had to get to work because I was running late (I was a school bus driver) and I was hurrying to explain to a good friend (with a good head on his shoulders) how to run the evaporator, when a young employee asked if it was OK to light the fire, I said yes. A few minutes later, just as I was leaving I smelled burning, it seems I had not opened the valve to the front pan. I flooded the pan and as the first burned out, I drove to work. Then while I waited at the school I called to instruct my friend how to swap pans, I had a spare syrup pan made and ready. By the time it cooled enough, those 2 had swapped the pan, started up and were making syrup. I'd had them put the questionable contents from the burnt pan in a SS barrel. It turned out as commercial.
    You are correct, it doesn't take long at all! You are now a sugar maker!!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

NEAR DISATER FOR US. boiled first time tuesday nite on our oil fired 2x6. The dial read '0', but it was syrup. We turned of the burner and saved the pan and contents then adjusted the needle to accurately reflect the hydrometer reading. I know i should take the stem out and set to 0 in boiling water but until this year never had that happen. Always learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by 77maple View Post
    NEAR DISATER FOR US. boiled first time tuesday nite on our oil fired 2x6. The dial read '0', but it was syrup. We turned of the burner and saved the pan and contents then adjusted the needle to accurately reflect the hydrometer reading. I know i should take the stem out and set to 0 in boiling water but until this year never had that happen. Always learning!!
    Glad to hear you saved it. That’s why I love the auto draw. May need adjusting but you always know the temperature.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I still have a few upgrades to make, one will be an auto draw off. Another being a bigger float valve for the float box on my syrup pan.
    That is the only reason I burnt my pan yesterday. I had an 1/8" npt valve on both boxes, changed the main float box to 3/4" npt earlier in the week after my Amazon order arrived. Last night I ordered a 1/2" float valve for the syrup pan. I spent the whole time during yesterdays boil scooping sap from the front of the flue pan to the float box because it couldn't keep up.

+ Reply to Thread