+ Reply to Thread

Thread: it's going to get cold

Northeast section of Northwest kingdom Vermont

Default it's going to get cold

Before I regret taking the chance, I guess i better move my sap into my basement. I have 20 gallons stored in a tank in the sugar house from my first run yesterday and i bet at will have a total close to 40 same today. It's going to be a pain but the Weather man show a low of 13 tonight, high tomorrow 26 and 14 into Sunday. Then it should run hard Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. I'm hoping to sweeten the pans and then boil a lot on Tuesday.

It is a little warmer in the sugar house but will be a pain to have the sap freeze hard in the tank.

Depending on how well protected your tank is, you might not get a ton of ice formation in there over just a couple days of cold. Might be easier to wrap a few blankets around it if you're worried about ice forming inside. Can you get the ice out if it does form?
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

This mini cold snap is going to set up for a great run Sunday/Monday!!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Northeast section of Northwest kingdom Vermont

I moved 40 gallons into the basement last night. I didn't dare mess with the cold. The ice would be real hard to get out of the tank. It was 20 degrees in the sugarhouse this morning which is 8 degrees warmer than the outside temp... I'll be getting some more exercise before we boil on Sunday!

+ Reply to Thread