+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Releaser problems

Default Releaser problems

I've got a double vertical Bernard, 3000 tap~ model. When the float comes up on the right side, it will start to expose the hole to the diaphragm hose on that center rocker assembly. Then it will suck air and stall out. Manifold fills with sap, then eventually it trips, usually. I think this is what caused sap to enter the moisture trap, even the pump a little, early in my season.

Anybody else have this happen ever? Love to find a solution.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

i'm not familiar with your releaser... i have a single mechanical, so perhaps its similar. i had an issue with my float rod comming up and not dumping everytime... filling the top manifold reservoir. what i found was one of the tubes that join the vacuum manifold and the top tank in the releaser, was loose. it was worn out from using over the years and air was getting in. so i cut the tube back, put a hair of food grade caulking around the hole and the problem went away. my other thought would be you may have a leaky gasket/o ring not equalizing the pressure quick enough to trip the dump cycle? not real sure but those are some issues I've dealt with when my releaser wasn't dumping properly.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I agree. Check those connector tubes for leaks, or liquid in them. I had a releaser stall when about a 1" column of liquid was in the line. Doesn't take much to make it fail.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Another possibility is the rod. Take super-fine sandpaper or SS wool to it (you don't want to scratch it, just get off the sugar), then a very light application of food-grade grease, then gently wipe the grease off with a clean cloth (there'll be enough lubricant residue left after wiping).

We found that sending mechanical releasers back to the dealer/manufacturer every 2-3 years for cleaning, o-ring/seal replacement and checking out led to far fewer issues and far higher reliability.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have two double vertical Bernards. Both have had issues of which you speak and the cause was the white machined bushings in the clear
    cover that the float rods run through.
    The bushings are press fit and after years will move which alters the stop position of the pivot arm and subsequently the timing of the hole which gets vacuum and the hole which vents air so the vacuum actuator can cycle.
    If you look close you can see these bushings are what the pivot arm uses as a stop and is what the oring on the float rods seal against.
    I pinned my bushings in place and never had issues afterwards.

[QUOTE=WMF;381103
    I pinned my bushings in place and never had issues afterwards.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the suggestions, and will check all these things out. WMF, how did you go about pinning those bushings?
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I drilled and tapped a 6-32 screw into the thick clear plastic bar that the bushings go through. Used a screw just long enough to pin bushing,
    do this at your own risk as these plastic parts are not easy to find quickly if you damage something.
    Remembered another problem which caused this as well. The tubing that connects to the rocker must be very flexible or it will pull the rocker
    away from the mating surface and cause a small leak and low vacuum to the cylinder.
    I found sap tubing was too stiff and ordered some silicone tubing from McMaster that worked better.

In my opinion, the best solution for that Brenard releaser is to get rid of it and buy a Lapierere releaser. The mechanics of the Bernard are way too complicated compared to the Lapierre. I have 4 of the Lapierres and they operate year after year with no issues.
    I had 3 Bernard verticals my first year on vacuum and had continuous problems with all 3 of them. Got rid of them the second season and went to all Lapierre.
    Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

I have used one for 3 years with no issues from what I can see about them make sure all three hoses coming into the port by The rocker are clear. also make sure your vaccum input hose isn't preventing it from moving and it slides from side to side well. Sometimes with a really low flow at end of day they can get caught in the middle but not often. I will say the lapierre vertical double are alot simpler of an idea
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Another possibility is the rod. Take super-fine sandpaper or SS wool to it (you don't want to scratch it, just get off the sugar), then a very light application of food-grade grease, then gently wipe the grease off with a clean cloth (there'll be enough lubricant residue left after wiping).

We found that sending mechanical releasers back to the dealer/manufacturer every 2-3 years for cleaning, o-ring/seal replacement and checking out led to far fewer issues and far higher reliability.
    Never seen sugar build up on a rod to hang it up!! Also wouldn't waste the money sending back for cleaning!! It's not a very complicated piece of equipment!!

Some people on here will cost you alot of money if you listen to them!!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast