+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guzzler Pulling 0 Vacuum

I had to order mine from Bosworth company. Nobody carries the umbrella valves. Very good to deal with. Got them in a few days. Valves are installed correctly right?

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris1 View Post
    I had to order mine from Bosworth company. Nobody carries the umbrella valves. Very good to deal with. Got them in a few days. Valves are installed correctly right?
    Yeah according to the diagram in the manual. My boyfriend is a autobody tech so taking things apart and back together is his specialty. The ONLY thing I can think of is the duckbill valves have 3 "flaps" and maybe the orientation is a determining factor in vacuum?

I talked to my boyfriend and he said the umbrella valves would not fit in our style pump *shrug*

Is it a true Guzzler pump made by Bosworth? They have the 400 and the 500. Difference being 400 has 4 bolt inlet/outlet and the 500 has a 6 bolt flange.

It is a true Guzzler from Bosworth the inlets/outlet have 6 bolts per (I have had to unscrew and screw these back on three times haha!) So are you saying I should be able to put umbrella valves on?

Is it a true Guzzler pump made by Bosworth? They have the 400 and the 500. Difference being 400 has 4 bolt inlet/outlet and the 500 has a 6 bolt flange.
    Do you have a link for those valves so I can show the SO?

Bosworth company in RI. Yes you have to by the kit it'll come with valves, stop, O-rings. I put them in mine. Aren't they fun to pull apart!

Bosworth company in RI. Yes you have to by the kit it'll come with valves, stop, O-rings. I put them in mine. Aren't they fun to pull apart!
    It's more of getting the nuts back onto the bolts when your putting it back together thats the PIA! HAHA

Ok back to the 0 pressure question. My single diaphragm Bosworth Guzzler pulls 27 after finding all the leaks. This year when I first started I was getting a zero reading. Working backwards from my pump there is a strainer, a vacuum gauge, then a ball valve. After the pump is wet I shut the valve and the pressure builds to 27. Then I turn the pump off and see if it holds 27. This tells me if the pump and diaphragm are OK. Then I walk the mainline and check the saddles. If a lateral is running very fast that lateral has a leak. Do that for all the laterals, fix the big leaks you can find, and recheck the gauge. With the big leaks fixed you should see a significant vacuum increase. At this point if you are showing some vacuum you can recheck the saddles, walk the fast running laterals, and now some of the leaks can be heard. I had so many squirrel chews this year it took over 3 hours to find and fix leaks on a 100 tap system. Take the time and you will see great vacuum levels. Sorry this was so long winded.
    Last edited by Father & Son; 03-07-2020 at 01:56 AM.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

SOOOOO

We found our issue on Saturday. We somehow missed a whole lateral line of 8 taps.

Now pump is running great 23-27" of vacuum. Thank you guys I feel SOOOOO silly!!! But I'm glad we found the issue.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Yup...that'll do it.

Glad you found it and it wasn't something bigger.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12