+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guzzler Pulling 0 Vacuum

Default Guzzler Pulling 0 Vacuum

Good morning,

This season is our second season using our Guzzler sap puller. Last year when we first set it up we were able to pull about 10" of vacuum with a LOT of leaks in our system.

This year we installed a second gauge closer to the sap puller instead of walking 100' to the gauge that was already installed.

So far we are pulling 0" and we can't figure out why.

We replaced the diaphram and both of the valves thinking that may be it and nada.

Sure we have SOME leaks, but nothing that would cause 0 in my opinion.

Frustrating. We brought it to the company we bought it from and they called the company that made the pump. They said that if the system is dry it may not show on the gauge but we had it running on a day where the sap was flowing and it was still at 0.

To test we made a dummy line at home. A 3 foot piece of pipe with a gauge on the end. Hooked it onto the pump and we were able to pull 15 inches (which is NOT the max of this pump).

So, do you guys think its the pump or is it our lines? We are taking out all of our fittings and putting new thread tape on just in case there is leakage around those.

I appreciate your time!

If you dead head pump an pull 15" it must be in your mainline lateral line system. Check make sure all taps are in. Which I'm sure you have. Do you have just 1 mainline?

Have you taken the pump apart again to check and make sure that one of the parts didn’t get put together run or didn’t quite get seated in place correctly? Sometimes, something will look like it is in right but actually didn’t quite fit in place all the way. If you are pulling 15” on a short piece, then start at the pump and walk up your line checking every fitting in the mainline carefully. I have seen mainline fittings, connectors, tees, y’s, that due to heat or cold, pull apart every so slightly, that they look like they are together but actually are loosing all the vacuum. Then move onto your smaller lines.
    Last edited by BAP; 03-06-2020 at 06:10 AM.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

That will be the next step thank you both! Now if it’s not pulling enough vacuum to make noise then how do I test the fittings and saddles of my main line?

We have three main lines but no shut off for each. This grove was put together before we owned it and that is one thing that was not done.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Will it hold vacuum at 15" Hg deadheaded? Does it pull up to 15" Hg on the exit stroke, but fall off immediately. Small crack or tear in the diaphragm? Inspect it very carefully. If it'll hold 15" deadheaded, then check the lines. Shut-offs on each line would help leaks down quite a lot.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I had same issue. No vacuum. I have 4 mains going to a bigger main. I added valves on all 4 lines. shut them all and checked vacuum then opened 1 at a time fixed leaks that I had mostly on tee's until I got vacuum. I have vacuum now but not where I want it. It's gonna be harder now cause they are micro leaks. Easy way I found to check diaphragm is pull cover and put pump on down stroke and fill with water. I found a leak like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Will it hold vacuum at 15" Hg deadheaded? Does it pull up to 15" Hg on the exit stroke, but fall off immediately. Small crack or tear in the diaphragm? Inspect it very carefully. If it'll hold 15" deadheaded, then check the lines. Shut-offs on each line would help leaks down quite a lot.
    Deadheaded it does not hold the vacuum. At first it would drop fast as soon as we turned it off. Then we replaced the valves and diaphram. Now it goes down much slower but still does not hold. I didn’t think it should hold once turned off but should it stay at 15? Also it’s not a consistent 15. During its cycles it fluctuates from 15 to 14.5. Should it stay right at 15?

Thank you all for the advice. I’m really hoping to figure this out.

The valves and diaphragm are brand new. Only 5 days on the machine. I hope they don’t have crackwith propane you find leaks by using soap and water and spraying it on fittings. Obviously not gonna use soap but is there anything I can spray on fittings to detect leaks on the pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris1 View Post
    I had same issue. No vacuum. I have 4 mains going to a bigger main. I added valves on all 4 lines. shut them all and checked vacuum then opened 1 at a time fixed leaks that I had mostly on tee's until I got vacuum. I have vacuum now but not where I want it. It's gonna be harder now cause they are micro leaks. Easy way I found to check diaphragm is pull cover and put pump on down stroke and fill with water. I found a leak like that before.
    I will have to try that trick!

Something I also had happen was a piece of plastic caught behind valve which wouldn't let it seal. Plastic was from drilling mainline saddles. I tipped pump up while running an poured sap in it to try to flush it out. I have umbrella valves. Pump came with duck bill. Duck bill didn't seem to close right. If you put your hand over inlet it would have vac on the up stroke but loose it on the down. Look at sap in lines and it would move back an forth never really went anywhere. With umbrella valves vac is constant pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris1 View Post
    Something I also had happen was a piece of plastic caught behind valve which wouldn't let it seal. Plastic was from drilling mainline saddles. I tipped pump up while running an poured sap in it to try to flush it out. I have umbrella valves. Pump came with duck bill. Duck bill didn't seem to close right. If you put your hand over inlet it would have vac on the up stroke but loose it on the down. Look at sap in lines and it would move back an forth never really went anywhere. With umbrella valves vac is constant pull.
    We are seeing that exact thing in our lines! We may switch to umbrella valves then. Thank you for your advice!! It for sure does not keep pulling on the second phase.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast