+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring Peepers Signal The End of Sugaring Season

Default Spring Peepers Signal The End of Sugaring Season

Is anybody familiar with the tiny frogs we call Spring Peepers here in Southwest Ohio? I've noticed the last couple of years that the time I start hearing them making their loud peeping noises coincides with the time the maple sugaring comes to an end for me. I just started hearing them yesterday. I also noticed several mockingbirds returning from their winter homes. I'm wondering if these creatures know better than I do when it's time to pull the taps.

Thanks for the warning! We know there coming to a spot near us too! I am preparing!
    Keep Boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I am SE of you a couple hours and I pulled the plug last Monday. I have already pulled my taps, filled my lines with Calcium Hypochloride flushed, drained and capped. All my tanks are sanitized and stored. the pan is soaking in the last sap for the next six weeks and then I'll clean it, but first I'm hoping to pull some Maple vinegar off it. I had my best production year since I started back up 12 years ago. I made just a few ounces shy of 20 gallon. Sugar averaged 1.51 % and I made more dark than usual. I heard the first peepers two days ago.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Yes, that seems to be case here as well. We have a pond close by our house, so it becomes obvious when they start peeping. Our season pretty much ended a week ago, but haven't heard them yet. I think we'll need a few days of warmer weather for them to start.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Peepers. We love 'em! Got a pond right outside the bedroom window and it sure is a lovely sign of spring when they start their chorus - even with ice still in the water. Of course, then it means the end of sugaring season...but usually by that point, I'm ready to get some sleep from all the late nights boiling. Sap just began running in earnest here, so we are into the thick of it right now.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

Here I'm just getting started. My first boil was on Monday. Didn't boil today, not enough but I will have enough by tomorrow. Had a light freeze this morning and might in the morning again. Likely no sap flow Saturday but then should have 3-4 days with no freeze. No peepers here yet. The low spots are still iced over and today the trees didn't wake up until between 1-2 P.M.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I heard peepers Tuesday night and I'm in southern mi. Still ice on the ponds,mud everywhere ,no frost. My dad always said 2 weeks after frogs peeping and your done. It may be a short season or maybe this will be an anomoly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I heard peepers Tuesday night and I'm in southern mi. Still ice on the ponds,mud everywhere ,no frost. My dad always said 2 weeks after frogs peeping and your done. It may be a short season or maybe this will be an anomoly.
    I agree with your Dad. My barometer is this; the peepers come out, they go in for two weeks, and then they come out again and it’s spring! I live in NE CT and the peppers have not been out, I would hear them in a minute if they were out!
    Pete

Love those peepers. I haven't even tapped yet. Crazy how things are wrapping up in Ohio and I am yet to even tap my trees here in Mass.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

+ Reply to Thread