+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY RO operation help

Default DIY RO operation help

Hello, I've got a DIY RO setup that I put together and I am starting to wonder if I am running it correctly.

I have the aquatec 8800 pump, filter and 4 100gpd membranes.

It takes about 8 hours to get 5 gallons of concentrate to 6-7%. Generally from about 20 ish gallons of sap.

The way I run it is to restrict the concentrate line to build pressure (approx. 80 psi) and leave the pure water hose wide open.

Is this correct? It seams very slow.

I think you're running it right, but increase the pressure to 110-120 psi. Permeate flow rate will increase significantly.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

Quote Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
    I think you're running it right, but increase the pressure to 110-120 psi. Permeate flow rate will increase significantly.
    I can only seem to get it up to 80 psi with the current pump.

Sounds good. I just run until I take out 50% permeate . Not sure of pressure but restrict until I get about equal flow on both lines.
    1975 - 1979 Family "Bucket Dumper"
    1979 - 1986 Paid "Bucket Dumper"
    College, Life, et.al.
    2014 An amazing and supportive girlfriend that wanted to make maple syrup.
    2016 - 2023 Back-yarder 2-10 Taps. Turkey Fryer, D.I.Y. R.O.
    2022 Now an amazing and supportive wife!
    2023 Retired and setting up for 2024
    2023 Smoky Lake Corsair 2X6, UFA, Steam hood 20'X32' sugar house,~250 taps on Vacuum.

Which specific 8800 model number? There are various ones with different performance curves (pressures and flow rates).

Also, the 100 gpd membranes are most likely contributing to the slowness a fair amount. That rating is a flow rate rating. It literally takes 24 hours to process 100 gallons of raw water (producing 50 gal of permeate and 50 of concentrate). Now, at lower pressure and lower fluid temp that performance can go down significantly. 50 - 75% of that rating. 60% is safe bet.

Also, if those are in series, the flowrate to the last one is going to be tiny and decrease performance even more.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I may not be as bad off as I thought.

What changes should I make to increase my through put for next year, I just can't keep up any more.

Just curious, do you have your sap source higher than your pump? I lifted my bucket of sap from the ground up onto a chair and I was doing 5 gallons in about 90 mins and it was ready to boil.... That extra gravity makes a HUGE difference.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...System-Problem

Quote Originally Posted by clifford5555 View Post
    Just curious, do you have your sap source higher than your pump? I lifted my bucket of sap from the ground up onto a chair and I was doing 5 gallons in about 90 mins and it was ready to boil.... That extra gravity makes a HUGE difference.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...System-Problem
    No, I don't. I may try that, but then it is harder for me to get the sap into the container.
    I have a different pump on order that I want to try, it is a self priming pump that is supposed to get up to 160 PSI.

From Aquatec: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Pressure switch is not included in this listing. Pressure switch need to be purchase separately. Depending on your applications at what cut-off pressure setting. This listing is for pump and transformer only. You can turn on/off manually, or use (optional) pressure switch or (optional) timer to turn on/off the pump. This pump is to increase input pressure to a RO system. This pump is not for increasing pressure to ice maker or refrigerator. That's different model. For ice maker pump or increasing output pump, please get Aquatec 5851 0.7GPM to 1 GPM pump This is Aquatec Boost pump and transformer for Reverse Osmosis Water systems. The input/output of the pump is 3/8" quick connect fitting, we also include two reducer fitting to 1/4" if you have 1/4" tubing. So this setup will work for both 3/8" and 1/4" OD tubing. If you are using this for a RO system you may need to order separately a pressure switch and/or a solenoid valve. If you are buying this pump for misting application. Please note that the pump need to be placed at floor level, the pump need to be lower than the water level. It can self prime but input tubing need to be all the way near the bottom of the container and be tied down/ tether with heavy object so the tubing can stay near the bottom and not floating up. The number of nozzles the pump can support depends on the flow rate of the total nozzles and the pressure you want to achieve. Connect one nozzle first and make sure everything works then add more nozzles and check pressure. With less nozzles the pump is able to high pressure above 80 psi. As you add more nozzles, the pressure decreases. If the pump is not connecting to anything, or just pumping air, then it sounds loud, it will be more quiet when it is connected with water line. The pump need to be placed on the floor level, lower than the water level. Do NOT put the pump on top of the container or above water level if you are drawing water from a container.

READ THAT LAST LINE IN BOLD! this is what I read that solved my problem. I thought, no way it could be that easy....but it was! Good Luck to ya!

Being below the level of the fluid will help. This pump has a 60" draw, so in theory you could place it 5 feet above you liquid and it will suck it up to the pump. Once the pump is primed, it will continue to draw until you run out in sap bin. I use a 30gal food grade trash can to collect my sap and if I put up, I would still have to draw the sap the height of the can (40"?) before it would flow down to the pump. If I had a spigot at the bottom of my collector, then it sure would help to raise it.

There is a set screw on the pump end that will allow some adjustment. Read the instructions. I have mine about 3/4 the way down. This may give you the added boost to your pressure.

My home made RO uses a 3/8 line for input and 1/4 for the rest of the tubing. After it is primed, my needle valve is set to barely opened to give me 120 psi on my 150GPD membranes. Since I am running 18 taps, one day I will collect and begin the RO process. Then, when the can is empty, I take the input and put it in the concentrate and let it run over night to increase the concentration. By then, the collector can may be ready so the process starts again after removing the concentrate for boiling. Of course when the temp drops below freezing, I bring the rig inside to rinse it for a couple of hours with warmed pure water collected from the ro unit earlier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast