+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identifying Trees in the Winter

Default Identifying Trees in the Winter

It simple to ID trees when the leaves are on, but winter a whole other thing. Does anyone know of a good reference guide that looks at bark and limbs? I have a few old timers in back that I forgot to log....the only thing I know is that they're not oaks...
    Last edited by ChaskaSap; 03-03-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

You can always drill them and see if sap comes out - really. If they look anything like a maple tree, i.e. not obvious that it's an oak, I would go for it. Next summer you can mark them when it's easier to identify by the leaves.

After a while it becomes pretty easy to identify by bark, especially when driving around trying to scout out trees in the summer and you notice the bark.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Interesting.....didn't even consider that. Thanks for the tip!

Update: they're both dripping
    Last edited by ChaskaSap; 03-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

Look for sugar maple leaves on the ground near the tree. Bark is pretty smooth. Unless they’re old and bug around. Branches is upward more than out. Test the sap with a sap hydrometer as non maples will have lower sugar content.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

what happens if you DO tap one that's not a Maple and then it runs into your collective bucket? I have a couple trees that run into a 5 gallon bucket
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Chances are you won't get any sap from other species.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    what happens if you DO tap one that's not a Maple and then it runs into your collective bucket? I have a couple trees that run into a 5 gallon bucket
    If it's running sap, then it's likely a maple, or nut tree of some sort. In any case, I would go ahead and boil it if you're just making syrup for home use.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Look for opposite branching in maples if you cant tell from the bark. Ash trees are probably the only other opposite branching tree in your area.

When the leaves are off the trees, Sugar maples are as distinct and unique a profile as any common tree in its range. The only other hardwood tree that is less difficult in its identification would be the American Black Cherry tree.

Those that disagree with this, disagree with it because they are not using the profile of the upper half of the Sugar Maple in identification. Any other tree that closely resembles the lower half of a sugar maple can be easily excluded by the upper canopy of the Sugar Maple and its tell tale characteristics.

Trunks are straight and move straight towards the sky and branches are straight and steeply angle towards the sky.

Sugar Maples like mammals have one thing on their minds in their younger years and that one thing is making sugar. They know where they need to go to do it. Red Maples are not so sure and it shows in their curly limbs and in their 1% sugar content.

When you have identified a sugar maple by leaf in the summer, study its distinct canopy characteristics and you will always pick off sugar maple near and far.

Limbs and outer branches never roam and curl or curve as if they do not know which way they want to go ( unlike the soft maples or white oaks )

When I used to walk through forest identifying American Black Cherry Trees for milling I would do it by looking up for their canopies and then come down the tree to the bark to confirm. Even though the lower bark of the Black Cherry is the most distinct of all our eastern hardwoods it was still easier to locate them in the forest by searching for their distinct canopies.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

First look for opposite branching. All of the limbs start as half of van opposite set, however most of them, one gets broken off, so to check you need to use binoculars and look at the upper limbs or the outer sections on any limb to verify if it has opposite branching. Then to know if it is a sugar maple or black maple you need to see a bud that can be seen but not yet opened, a sugar maple and black maples have buds that come to a point, reds and silvers have buds that have a flat top. The bark on a sugar maple starts when young almost like it has a pebble finish, as it matures the bark starts to have plates that peal away vertically. Also, on a sugar maple limbs coming off the trunk have a fairly large swell at the base of the limb, likely more than many other trees.
    Once You've identified them for a couple of years you will be able to identify them from a distance in the winter.
    Red maples have a fairly rough bark, almost similar to a black cherry but not as pronounced. One thing that can help also is to know what type of ground they like to live in, sugars do not like their toes in water, reds and silvers can grow in wetter areas, often on a little rise like a small island in areas that are seasonally wet but not under water most of the year.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast