+ Reply to Thread

Thread: storing syrup before bottling

Default storing syrup before bottling

During the week I will pull off syrup, but usually run out of day.

Can I store syrup in our refrigerator and on the weekend reheat to 180, filter and bottle?

Thanks,
    James
    2020 2'x4' Smoky Lake Gas-Fired Finisher (use as my evaporator). 6 gallons of regular syrup, 3 gallons of Bourbon syrup
    2019 Smoky Lake 2'x3' divided pan same homemade arch-7 gallons of syrup
    2018 (2) metal chaffing pans over a gas burner and home made gas fired arch made of cinder blocks-4 gallons syrup
    2017 (2) metal chaffing pans over a gas burner-2 gallons of syrup

yes you can. i store it in my garage (stays plenty cool) in 5 gal containers and can it when i have the time.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by fruitguy View Post
    During the week I will pull off syrup, but usually run out of day.

Can I store syrup in our refrigerator and on the weekend reheat to 180, filter and bottle?

Thanks,
    James
    If it is full density syrup and cool weather, no concerns keeping it a week or so before finishing.
    If it is only "approaching syrup", then highly recommended that you refrigerate or freeze before final finishing
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

I do the same. Store in garage fridge in 5 gallon pails. I honestly don't know how you all boil, finish, filter and bottle all at the same time. Boiling is stressful enough! The only drawback is then I have a bunch of syrup sitting in the fridge waiting to be filtered and bottled, the least fun of the process ;-(
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

This is my first year and have been boiling off and on (weather permitting) for the last couple of weeks. I'm in the Minneapolis area and the temps have been favorable to keep in a snowbank, but that's about to change this weekend with highs 50's and lows in the 40's. I have about 2-3 gallons just needing to finish, filter and bottle. For the novice, I appreciate the tip to refrigerate...
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

This year I'm filling milk jugs and storing almost syrup in my fridge. Makes sense to me to filter and bottle a set amount each time. Except for the last bottling lol

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    2013 15 Homemade Taps, Milk Jugs, Turkey Fryer, 3 Gallons Syrup
    2014 Finishing my college degree, looked longingly at the Maples all spring
    2015 26 1/2 Real taps, Milk Jugs, Homemade 20x25 pan on propane, 5+ Gallons Syrup
    2016 50 Taps, Milk Jugs, Homemade 25x48 pan on propane block arch, 8 1/2 Gallons Syrup
    2020 80 Taps, Milk Jugs, 25x48 pan on propane block arch w/preheater, 10 gallons syrup

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    I do the same. Store in garage fridge in 5 gallon pails. I honestly don't know how you all boil, finish, filter and bottle all at the same time. Boiling is stressful enough! The only drawback is then I have a bunch of syrup sitting in the fridge waiting to be filtered and bottled, the least fun of the process ;-(
    Try filtering and bottling 30+ gallons an hour! It is stressful but I'd much rather bottle as much as I can while it's still hot and not have to re-heat. With our setup, I put the first 25 gallons into the water jacketed re-heater to be packaged. I need someone to help me bottle and label because you will screw something up if you fire, run the RO and run the filter press and try to bottle. By the time the first 25 gallons is packaged I've filled 1, sometimes 2 drums and I can pump a bunch more syrup into the re-heater to package more.

If you can filter coming off the evaporator then you only need to re-heat to 180 F and bottle - you shouldn't need to filter again if you can keep it below 190 F.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread