+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum temp switch

Default Vacuum temp switch

Just wanted to share my vacuum temp switch that I built in case anyone wants to build one. I spent around $40 in parts. Most of the material I had with the exception of
    The temp controller and the relay which I got off Amazon.

The temp controller is an Inkbird ITC-1000. This measures the actual temp with a probe. You can set this controller to either heat or cool a device. They’re pretty popular among home brewers apparently. In this case the controller is set to cool, not heat. The way it works is on the controller I set my target temperature to be 33 degrees. When the actual temp (measured temp) is less than the target temp the controller provides no power on its output side. When the actual temp is greater than the set temp the controller provides output power which will turn the vacuum pump on.

This Inkbird is only rated for 10A on the output side. The startup load of my vacuum motor is around 9.5A. I opted to buy a SSR(solid state relay) rated for 25A to handle the load.

I hope someone can use this to their benefit. I also hope I am somewhat clear on the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Not sure why the first pic is turned...should be flipped 90 degrees counter clockwise.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
    -Henry David Thoreau

We used the same controller in the 12 volt version for shutting our gas operated pumps down. Way better than going out at all hours of the night to shut them down based on the temps or trying to figure how much gas we should put in to time the shut down. They have worked well.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

[QUOTE=Longyearfarm;380320]Just wanted to share my vacuum temp switch that I built in case anyone wants to build one. I spent around $40 in parts. Most of the material I had with the exception of

The temp controller is an Inkbird ITC-1000. This measures the actual temp with a probe. You can set this controller to either heat or cool a device. They’re pretty popular among home brewers apparently. In this case the controller is set to cool, not heat. The way it works is on the controller I set my target temperature to be 33 degrees. When the actual temp (measured temp) is less than the target temp the controller provides no power on its output side. When the actual temp is greater than the set temp the controller provides output power which will turn the vacuum pump on.

This Inkbird is only rated for 10A on the output side. The startup load of my vacuum motor is around 9.5A. I opted to buy a SSR(solid state relay) rated for 25A to

Quote Originally Posted by Longyearfarm View Post
    Just wanted to share my vacuum temp switch that I built in case anyone wants to build one. I spent around $40 in parts. Most of the material I had with the exception of

This Inkbird is only rated for 10A on the output side. The startup load of my vacuum motor is around 9.5A. I opted to buy a SSR(solid state relay) rated for 25A to handle the load.

I hope someone can use this to their benefit. I also hope I am somewhat clear on the build.
    i just purchased an inkbird temp controller..im having such a difficult time trying to get it programmed to shut the pump off and turn on...im not the smartest fella and the instructions might as well be in greek...i need a walk thru but in layman's terms...thanks if anyone can help me out

+ Reply to Thread