+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nw wi 2020

First boil today, my system can work with as little as 35 gallons- I got about 70 gallons sap from 111 taps, so certainly doesn't qualify as a run, but a nice drip anyway. By far the earliest I've ever tapped or boiled. Dave Evenson

I boiled the last couple of days, finished off tonight, looks like no run for the next few below freezing days. About 3 gallons per tap so far, only 2.2 to 2.5 sugar, so a lot of boiling required. Rain took out a lot of snow, so easier getting around in woods. Dave Evenson

I was able to get the ATV down the hill to collect my sap line barrel the other day. Snow is still slimy so I have to go early while it's still cold and crusty. Only was able to collect 20 gallons. Luckily, since then, the snow has gone down and with 1/2" or so of rain yesterday, it should be much better. Still nothing really going on up here in Barnes.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

We started tapping Mar 4, it looked promising, but it's been quite slow. I boiled 235 Gallons of sap yesterday, that was from 200 taps. It's tough going with all the snow. We're near Solon Springs
    2X6 Smokey Lake Evaporator, Kawasaki 400, 260+ taps using bags and buckets. Retired.

Hi all, Jeff E here near Spooner. We started tapping Birkie weekend, finishing up tapping on March 7. Lots of critter damage to the lines, so it took a few days to get things tight.
    Thing really opened up for us yesterday. From about 11pm last night to 7am this morning the trees gave me about 1/2 gallon per tap. Havent check since then, but I think it will be a late night.
    Good sap until another freeze up on Friday.
    Be well, enjoy the season!
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

14ledo81 Guest

Interesting.

I did not check this morning (collected yesterday evening) , but was on the phone with my wife today before noon, and she was outside. She says, "wow this bag is really full". I must have had a decent run late evening as well.

It must have run all night, I emptied bags yesterday afternoon, and today about noon they had about a gallon. I emptied all the bags as late as I could in the rain before the coming freeze so I don't have such big ice chunks after this weekend, but suspect I'll have some anyway. Will boil tomorrow after the wind dies down at least a little. Dave E

We have boiled the last 4 nights in a row- so I am happy for a little freeze up to clean the evaporator, make some minor repairs in the sugar house.
    Next week looks like we will all need to be ready to get busy!

With the craziness going on out in the real world, the sugar house is a nice place to be.
    Be well all!
    Jeff Emerson
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

A good hard working day- I picked up a two day run at 2 gallons per tap this afternoon.
    I made a faux pas this evening (That means I screwed up, but the French sounds better!) I put my pan to bed for the night, banked the fire, ran in 3 inches of sap to get through the night without burning pan. But I forgot to shut off the head tank when I left. The maple gods were good to me- for some nagging reason I went back out an hour later, found the pan within 3/8 of an inch from overflowing. I scooped out some sap, got the pan down within reason.
    I think it's about over, at least for me. I'm tired, almost out of wood, sold a load of sap today, and will sell the rest I get. Pulled 12 of my most remote taps. Dave Evenson, Cumberland

Tired....yup!
    We had a June bug flying around the yard light. That's early!
    My sap is acting like later season sap as well, getting the syrup pan dirty fast with Niter. Still snow in the woods, but really no frost.

By the way Dave-nice save on the pan! I always try and 'listen' to the 'nagging internal voice' too, usually something is up!
    Jeff Emerson
    2500 on 25" vacuum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast