+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nw wi 2020

Hybrid View

Default Nw wi 2020

Well folks, it looks like it's go time. I am having a hard time convincing myself that it really could start this early. But as many, there is very little if no frost in the ground, so things could go quickly. I typically tap around St. Pats day, and wait a bit for things to start, I'd love it if spring is really on her way, it's been a long winter with an early start. I'm in Bayfield County, 20 miles north of Hayward. Good Luck and Happy sapping everyone!
    GC
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

It's way earlier than I've ever tapped before, but I'm pretty well done, maybe 10 more in places with deep snow. Some of yard trees had a little dripping, not so much in the country. But I'm having a hard time ignoring the 10 day forecast, all sound like sap weather, so we're in. I figure if the big guys on vacuum started tapping weeks ago, just to get them all done, it can't be that hurtful to run. Cumberland, WI Dave Evenson

I boiled the last couple of days, finished off tonight, looks like no run for the next few below freezing days. About 3 gallons per tap so far, only 2.2 to 2.5 sugar, so a lot of boiling required. Rain took out a lot of snow, so easier getting around in woods. Dave Evenson

I was able to get the ATV down the hill to collect my sap line barrel the other day. Snow is still slimy so I have to go early while it's still cold and crusty. Only was able to collect 20 gallons. Luckily, since then, the snow has gone down and with 1/2" or so of rain yesterday, it should be much better. Still nothing really going on up here in Barnes.
    10th year in….
    14x14 sugar shack
    Sap Dog Chloe

14ledo81 Guest

I'm in Ashland County. South of Ashland.

I put taps in late Saturday. Only 19, and had about 3-4 gallons around 2:00 Sunday, so not running to good yet.

Forecast looks good though.

Plan to Tap just south of HWY 8 on Wed night in Polk County. Snow pack has came down quite a bit, hopeful to get in with the fourwheeler if possible. I see bags out on several trees in the area, some do have sap. I have been holding out for a big run rather than little drips.
    2013 First year 25 Taps
    ATV and Snowmobile Hauler
    3x5 Flat Pan on Block Arch
    11.5 Gallons of Syrup

2014 40 taps
    Home Made Arch for 3x5 flat pan
    13 Gallons of Syrup
    2 week long season

2015 taps
    10 gallons

2016 50 taps 20 gallons
    2017-22 downsized to 25 taps one weekend of good boill

We started tapping Mar 4, it looked promising, but it's been quite slow. I boiled 235 Gallons of sap yesterday, that was from 200 taps. It's tough going with all the snow. We're near Solon Springs
    2X6 Smokey Lake Evaporator, Kawasaki 400, 260+ taps using bags and buckets. Retired.

Hi all, Jeff E here near Spooner. We started tapping Birkie weekend, finishing up tapping on March 7. Lots of critter damage to the lines, so it took a few days to get things tight.
    Thing really opened up for us yesterday. From about 11pm last night to 7am this morning the trees gave me about 1/2 gallon per tap. Havent check since then, but I think it will be a late night.
    Good sap until another freeze up on Friday.
    Be well, enjoy the season!
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

I checked bags at my country site today, all dripping, from a couple of qts per tap to a gallon, will check again Thursday. Picked up a few gallons around the house.
    I'm off to Barnes tomorrow for a Barnes Area Historical Association (BAHA ) planning meeting for next fall's Gordon MacQuarrie Old Duck Hunters Circle event. GramaCindy, just curious, are you part of BAHA? Thanks, Dave Evenson

Hello Dave, not officially, although I am helping with the Saturday dinner for the Gordon M. event in August.
    10th year in….
    14x14 sugar shack
    Sap Dog Chloe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast