+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UK Birch Sucker

Smile UK Birch Sucker

Greetings all from the windy, wet and beautiful United Kingdom (Yeah, yeah, Brexit...)

Anyway. Brief intro before I bring up my RO issue:

I've been tapping Birch personally for around 20 years, last year (2019) I had bought lots of equipment but had my trees taken from under me 2 days before access, which delayed me until this year.

I have 1-200 trees capacity running on lines into 1000L tanks.
    For my RO system I have a Pentair PRF-RO being fed by a cheap pump (More on that in my RO issues!)
    For the boil I have 2 x 4'x3'x6" trays,
    For finishing I have a 2'x2'x6" tray.

My trees (Downy Birch & Hybrids) started to run just-a-tiny-bit about 4 days ago, sap volume is doubling by the day.
    The setup is in large heavy duty tents up a hill with no mains water supply, and no electricity (!)
    The pump is running off a 12v battery, the burners under the pans are running off gas cans.

This is already a gnarly affair, and a few stages I hadn't envisaged are going to make it difficult to get decent syrup.

Glad I've joined here though as there is lots to read, and a few questions to ask!

Happy Tapping

good luck and welcome!
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

+ Reply to Thread