+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time problems

Default First time problems

Hi, this is my first time trying out tapping trees; wanted to show my kids what it was like. I did it a lot as a teenager and earlier with the family, 200+ trees a year, but that was 20 years ago, so I know I've forgotten all the important bits. Anyway, I have 5 silver maples (Western NY) that I tapped with my boys. 7/16" with metal spiles about 2" into nice yellow wood at a 15 degree upward angle on a day with a high of 45. I've gotten nothing, not even a drop. Now, my property is in an area that has a lot of clay and a high water table, so I'm assuming that isn't helping. Right now it's been below freezing for 4 days so I know that is the current reason, but I cannot figure out why it didn't start good and then taper off. If it was one bad tree I'd chalk it up to bad luck, but 5? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Trees are still frozen. I did not have any sap 3 days ago when it was 40 out and now it's 19(Big drop in barometric pressure too). When things warm back up next week (Monday in the upper 30's lower 40's) things sould start flowing again.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

OK, well I don't have all the answers but I'll give you my two cents. I too started with taps your size. That is a good sized hole so as long as the drill bit has cleared the wood debris, thats a lot of area for sap to flow through. Most now, including us, have gone to a smaller tap, almost as much sap, more sustainable for the future. But that is your choice and your trees.
    We have a few hundred silver maples and I can say that they are much more fickle than sugar maples as far as giving sap.
    That 45 degree day may not have been enough to thaw that vertical block of ice (the tree trunk).
    Some of our silvers also do not give sap. Most do, but less than sugars. However, more than a few just don't give sap. Ever. Dunno why.
    We have an area with a high water table too. That could mean the root area is still frozen too. ie., coupla thawed inches on top with frozen below that.
    Do you have any other species of maples close to those who were dry? Even a close by neighbor with maybe a mix of silvers and sugars? I'd tap those just to see whats what, and with a neighbors permission, tap one of those to see if they run or are dry too.
    Anyway, good luck to you and your family.

Thanks! It's good to know it's not just me. I'll keep an eye on things as they thaw.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMark753 View Post
    OK, well I don't have all the answers but I'll give you my two cents. I too started with taps your size. That is a good sized hole so as long as the drill bit has cleared the wood debris, thats a lot of area for sap to flow through. Most now, including us, have gone to a smaller tap, almost as much sap, more sustainable for the future. But that is your choice and your trees.
    We have a few hundred silver maples and I can say that they are much more fickle than sugar maples as far as giving sap.
    That 45 degree day may not have been enough to thaw that vertical block of ice (the tree trunk).
    Some of our silvers also do not give sap. Most do, but less than sugars. However, more than a few just don't give sap. Ever. Dunno why.
    We have an area with a high water table too. That could mean the root area is still frozen too. ie., coupla thawed inches on top with frozen below that.
    Do you have any other species of maples close to those who were dry? Even a close by neighbor with maybe a mix of silvers and sugars? I'd tap those just to see whats what, and with a neighbors permission, tap one of those to see if they run or are dry too.
    Anyway, good luck to you and your family.
    I appreciate the response! Most of the trees in my area are in the poor soil as well, unfortunately. Hopefully we will have some better luck as it thaws more. If we do okay this year and plan on continuing, I will likely invest in better equipment to run over the long term. These trees were not previously tapped, so I figured that the 7/16 would not be a big issue on the first year. Thanks again, and I hope you have a good year!

I only have a couple of silvers but as others have said the are finicky. When I collect I never know if they will be empty, full or half full. Temperature, wind, rain or whatever they have a mind of their own. You just never know. When they run they do have a pretty good sugar content.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! In the past day or so 4 of the 5 trees started producing, and I brought in 3 gallons. I'll take it! (Only 37ish to go for a gallon)

I'm a first timer as well in Minnesota. I started 2 weeks ago with the silvers pushing out a lot, but then it got really cold last week and now we've having perfect weather 3 days running. All of my other trees are pumping it out, except those silvers. I too thought there was something going on, but looks like it's not just me!
    Last edited by ChaskaSap; 03-03-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

+ Reply to Thread