+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling unfilterd maple syrup

Default Selling unfilterd maple syrup

I would like a discussion about the legality of selling unfiltered syrup - not about the principle.

Background: When I say "unfiltered" this does not mean we are trying to save work - it is more complicated than just sending it through the filter press with the rest. We still filter the syrup through a fine sieve. The goal is to remove any foreign matter such as bugs or bits of debris while allowing all of the sugar sand to pass through to the final product. The goal also is to do this during early during the boil, to avoid the harder niter that can build up later on. Ultimately, I would like to see a fully settled quart jar with 1/2-3/4" of sugar sand on the bottom, of fine consistency. When shaken up this gives the maple syrup a distinct texture, but with no unpleasant crunchiness.

As described above, this is what we have used in the home kitchen for years and made available to some friends and family who are interested in the mineral benefits.

Is this sellable to a broader market? I ask because our customers have been asking for it. Does eliminating the "Pure Vermont Maple Syrup" label or "Grade A" satisfy?

With bulk prices remaining low, this is one way that sugarmakers can meet market demand and sell direct to interested customers.

Thanks for your knowledgeable input.

I can’t personally add anything one way or another but I think it’s interesting that people are actually requesting it. I didn’t realize the niter had any actual nutritional value.

Is there documentation of the mineral benefits?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Both Vermont and Federal regulations require pure maple syrup to be "clear", meaning free of visible niter or other impurities. To sell labeled other than "pure maple syrup" you'd need to chat with the regulatory folks to get an opinion/decision. To my knowledge, there is no published info showing that niter has benefits of any kind. Too much can certain cause digestive upset and diarrhea. If you have any leaded equipment in your processing stream (from buckets to storage containers and everything in between), there can a good amount of lead in the niter (typically FAR above what is in the syrup).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Interesting topic,
    I think you would want to do some good research as Dr p suggests. Seems like getting your filtered and non filtered syrup tested for lead would be step one.
    Must be some information on niter being good or bad for you. My guess is that many folks befor us have probably got it right that you dont want much or any of the niter in the syrup. If it was ok then it would have been done for years. Now for your own comsumption. I guess you can do what ever you want.
    Good luck with your syrup.
    We are all looking for ways to improve syrup marketing. I see your spin on the potential benifits of the non filtered version. Just need to make sure folks dont get sick from it too. You know its going to settle to the bottom of the jar anyway. so they would need to shake it up each time they used it. Are you going to put it in glass so they can see the difference between clear and cloudy syrup?
    Just some thoughts.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I'm quite sure it is illegal in Canada to sell unfiltered maple syrup. Do I taste it unfiltered - yes. Would I sell it knowing there will be sediment in the bottom - never.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

It's illegal both federally and according to New York State. I would not risk it, large fines and possibly even confiscation of your syrup is possible, maybe not likely on a first offense but possible.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by ennismaple View Post
    I'm quite sure it is illegal in Canada to sell unfiltered maple syrup. Do I taste it unfiltered - yes. Would I sell it knowing there will be sediment in the bottom - never.
    Ontario for sure.
    Ontario Grade A
    Is uniform in colour and free from any cloudiness or turbidity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

I've always heard that you need to filter it and meet a few other specs, including obviously the correct density of 66.9 brix, in order to sell. I'd look into the legality with experts. However I very much doubt that the state or any other agency would hunt you down for doing this. It would be one thing if you are trying to competitively market it and tout the superiority of your unfiltered product compared to other producers. But if you are just selling to established customers and there isn't much publicity then I'd bet you'll be okay.

My personal input would be to make clear to your buyers that this product is not the same as filtered syrup. Last thing we need as an industry is for people to turn away from maple because they are turned off from the unfliltered syrup from one producer.

Is letting it settle for a couple weeks and pouring off the clear an acceptable filtering technique for selling? I don't currently sell any but was thinking possibly a few gallons in the future. I like filtering this way as i batch boil, it is super easy and always clear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast