+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scorched Flues

Default Scorched Flues

I had an incident the other day where I burned the drop flue pan. I believe it happened because the arch was slightly out of level (even though I had carefully set it up the day before) and the float valve was not keeping up with demand (I was running blower at full speed for the first time). There is char deep in the flues. Cleaning it out has not been fun.

My questions are:

1. Has this happened to anybody else or am I just special?
    2. How is it possible to burn the deepest part of the flue? I understand burning the top of the flue or the syrup pan but not the part where there is at least a 5” column of water above it.

Thank you for your insights and for admitting me into the club of “Those who have burned things.” Will my plaque be coming in the mail?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Check how close your insulation or firebrick is to the bottom of the flues. That’s the only thing I can think of. If it’s too close it could be creating hot spots in the flue pan. Not sure about the plaque.
    2x8 Smokey Lake Silverplate raised flue
    Around 250 taps mostly on 3/16" and a few on buckets
    CDL Hobby 250 RO
    Lean-to for the sugar shack
    Chainsaws, wood splitter and tractor for more good times

Quote Originally Posted by HillsideMaple View Post
    Check how close your insulation or firebrick is to the bottom of the flues. That’s the only thing I can think of. If it’s too close it could be creating hot spots in the flue pan. Not sure about the plaque.
    Thank you for this insight. How close would you say is too close?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Yes your special. Keep looking for the plaque!
    I would say this is somewhat unusual to burn the lower parts of a flue pan. I really have never heard of it happening. The only way I can imagine is for the flue pan to be partially full of over cooked syrup which eventually catches fire and burns. I guess this could happen. but prior to that happening the front pan would have been on fire for maybe many minutes prior to that. Something is not right here.
    There are some basic boiling principles that we can sometimes miss but are crucial to avoiding bad things happening.
    1. Your only 10 seconds away from disaster at any one moment when running one of these. I dont care who you are or what rig you have.
    2. If you have fire in the arch you must have a depth of liquid in the pans.
    3. All valves/ systems must be able to provide adequate flow to keep the pans to the desired depths.
    4. Have the OS buckets ready at all times.

Yes that would be the last place I would expect a fire to happen. Congrats!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

My pan has a 1” gap between the insulation and bottom of the flues. My set up is raised flue though, I’m not sure what the recommendation is for drop flue pans.
    2x8 Smokey Lake Silverplate raised flue
    Around 250 taps mostly on 3/16" and a few on buckets
    CDL Hobby 250 RO
    Lean-to for the sugar shack
    Chainsaws, wood splitter and tractor for more good times

By any chance did you have a foaming issue when this happened? I just saw a pan that had a good 1+ inch of sap in the front (finish area) when it burned to the point it warped the bottom about 3/4 inch. We figured it was from the foam reaching the bottom.
    2013 25 taps 2.5 gallons
    2014 60 taps 9.5 gallons
    2015 12 x 16 sugar shack 200 taps 1500' 5/16 lines gravity. Home made arch, 2 x 3 pan and 18" x 24" steam pan.
    2016 2 x 5 Smokey Lake hybrid pan. Custom steam hood and float box. Number of taps yet to be determined.
    2017 Made 27 gallons. Added 60 taps on 3/16 lines.
    2018 Adding more 3/16 lines. Made 55 gallons
    2019 Added 4 totes for sap storage. Big shack upgrades.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Kbrooks80 View Post
    By any chance did you have a foaming issue when this happened? I just saw a pan that had a good 1+ inch of sap in the front (finish area) when it burned to the point it warped the bottom about 3/4 inch. We figured it was from the foam reaching the bottom.
    I second that thought. Having a lot of niter in the flues when the liquid level dropped could also contribute to scorching.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I was literally boiling the first 30 gallons of sap of the season so there was no syrup and no niter. I had sprinkled in some defoamer so that was under control. Thank you for helping to troubleshoot this. Glad to know I’m special!
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Curious, how close is to close for insulation and firebrick? I just modified my setup to close off the ramp and force the fire under the flues more. I left approx. 1.5-2" gap.

I run a drop flue 4x12 and set the blanket against the flues and have done this for at least 15 to 18 years with no problems.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

+ Reply to Thread