+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Default Question

Hi all,

My Name is Dave and my daughter and I started making syrup about 3 seasons ago. Last year we produced about 2.5 gallons of syrup. We collect in 5 gallon buckets and use a 55 gallon drum, 2 hotel pan evaporator. We seem to run in to problems in the final filtering stage. We use a pre filter inside a synthetic filter and we hold the filters over each jar using a stainless steel cone. It is an extremely slow process to get the syrup to flow through the filters. I’m not sure if we’re doing something wrong or if this is normal. Do you have any suggestions that would improve our process? Any guidance you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Turn your prefilter and Orlon filter half way inside out so it makes a "sailors hat". Filter into a pot or bowl because your filtered syrup will be coming out of the whole filter instead of the very bottom
    2024- 500 taps on vac
    100 on gravity
    2x8 vision
    2 sugar crazed Akitas and one awfully patient wife

I do small amounts also , I just let it sit in the fridge for a week and decant out slowly most of the sludge sticks to the bottom of the pan.

you have to have the syrup HOT to filter it well with a synthetic cone filter. i use them and filter right as i draw off my evaporator (218-220 deg). i suggest heating up your syrup before you try and filter it. say to 200 - 212 degrees or so and i'm sure it'll work much better!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Hey Dave....
    Here's another recent thread about the same topic, with some ideas....... Check it out
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ring-questions

If you think you might want to try the coffee urn bottler, let us know... Theres a couple little details/hints you will want explained, on how to get it set up for the proper temperature....
    Last edited by wmick; 02-27-2020 at 03:20 PM.

You could try settling it in half gallon mason jars. It takes a bit of time but if put in the jars hot it will keep for a long time. You then just pour off and re-bottle. When re- bottling don't go over 180 or you will get maple sand., Ive done this many times, but I filtered as I take it of the evaporator as well with a cone filter, wool and synthetic. The wool can leave micro fibers so I line both sides with synthetic.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

Default Hand pump

Hey Dave. I ran into the same issues. I could never get my syrup to filter easy especially if it is a batch boil. I found a used hand pump filter press for around 450 dollars and it changed my world. I can bottle in glass and give it as gifts if I want without a single stitch of stuff in it. Filtering made me very frustrated. Maybe someone who has tried the new cdl vaccuum filter will tell you how that works. My hand pump was the best investment.
    540 taps. New 2x6 CDL oil fired deluxe. 7” wesfab filter press with electric pump. Micro 2 RO and a 16 by 32 CDL bottling unit. Can’t wait!!!!!!
    20x24 shack

flat filters and cone filters work fine and can get your syrup crystal clear.

1. invest in a hydrometer. read up on how they work that is if you aren't using them already. If your syrup is too thick the process is slowed. if you go by the traditional temperature method you run the risk of getting mold in your jars if its too thin or alot of sugar crystals if too thick.

2. make sure your syrup is hot about 200+ is best.

3. make sure your filter is wet not soaked but just wet. run hot water through it first. this will allow the syrup to get through it easier and faster without the syrup being absorbed into the filter.

4. the pre filters will clog pretty quickly depending on the amount of niter you have stack a few on top of the synthetic filter as they clog you can remove one at a time.

5. put a strainer over a pot the cone you are using is it like a proffessional kitchen type strainer also called a china cap? if you are using a solid cone the syrup can't get through becuase it will only go through the bottom. anyway put filter/strainer over a pot and work that way it will free up a hand so you can remove a prefilter when it gets clogged.

6. reheat your syrup to 180-190* and then bottle it into hot jars. you can heat them in a 200* oven.

most of us started with regular cone and flat filters before we became too crazy and started dropping boat loads of money into it.
    Good luck
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

[QUOTE=red maples;379943]flat filters and cone filters work fine and can get your syrup crystal clear.

3. make sure your filter is wet not soaked but just wet. run hot water through it first. this will allow the syrup to get through it easier and faster without the syrup being absorbed into the filter.

Brad (Red Maples) I have been using the cone filter for eleven years now and have never thought about wetting the filter ! great idea this wont change the syrup? I will try this process next time I filter .
    Backyard sapper

Mason 2X4 XL with blower
    12x24 post and beam shack
    30 taps on 5-Gallon buckets
    134 taps on tubing into the shack
    15-30 gallons a year for family and friends

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will start applying the easier of them immediately, during this weekend’s batch. I may also combine a few methods.

WMicks, I think I will try the coffee urn, since I already have one of those.

I really appreciate everyone’s help and realize that I have a ton to learn.
    It’s just making maple syrup they said, it’s easy they said!

Thanks again,
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast