+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finishing Syrup Exploding in Pan!

Default Finishing Syrup Exploding in Pan!

I've had a problem when finishing my syrup on the stove in my home. When it is boiling it seems to gather steam and then suddenly "explode" all over the stove and sometimes me! It's not boiling over, but it seems to come from the bottom of the pan and spew almost finished syrup everywhere. I thought my pan was a good heavy bottom variety but maybe not good enough. I use a calphalon stainless steal 6 quart pan. (Very small scale!). Is there a pan that you'd recommend or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!

As a hobbyist I have had the same issues. Keep a close eye on it and remove the pan every time it starts to "explode" or foam up. It may take a few times to settle. Turn down the burner slightly as well. A little smeared butter on the to part of the pot slows it down as well. Also a drop of vegetable oil works. Usually when it does this it is very close or past syrup. Good luck.
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Thanks red/one - My issue is not foaming up at all ... the "explosion" comes without warning ... It's more like a volcano. I usually only have a couple of inches in the bottom of the pan since I'm only tapping two sugar maples and I keep my saps separate. It has only happened to me with the sugar maple syrup. I also tap boxelders.

It's caused by the niter/sugar sand in your syrup causing hot spots/mini explosions on the bottom of your pans when it sticks. Pre-filtering you nearup will help before final finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    It's caused by the niter/sugar sand in your syrup causing hot spots/mini explosions on the bottom of your pans when it sticks. Pre-filtering you nearup will help before final finishing.
    Thank you Ed. I'll try that.

I guess I totally misunderstood that one! Never had an actual explosion...
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Defoamer for foaming is the ticket , it might help a little with the banging/explosive boil but not much.

I've never experienced that and hope I never do!

I think it is more prevalent when finishing/boiling in 12 to 20 quart stainless stock pots. I have it happen all the time. I am not so certain it is build-up on the bottom of the pan, because I have filtered it and tried boiling again and it immediately started doing it again. Sometimes it makes the pot jump a little bit it is such a big "bang". Every once and a while the big bubble that comes up is near the side of the pan and sloshes over the side, it really sucks when that happens. A couple years back my syrup pan on the evaporator was making the same commotion, and I remember other syrup makers in the area were saying they were having it happen at that same time too.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I have seen this problem as well. I have an electric flat top stove and I typically use a buffet pan across 2 burners to finish 1-1.5 gallons at a time. I found that as the sap gets closer to syrup, less heat is required to maintain a boil. Turning down the heat slows/stops the jumping and eruptions.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast