+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Brick vs Concrete Brick

Quote Originally Posted by Bgreisch View Post
    you could always keep your fire brick lower than the croncrete block, that way the heat can get to the edge better. I have a Dauntless evaporator from Smokey Lake and the fire brick does not go all the way to the top but there is also insulation between the brick and the evaporator wall.

https://www.smokylakemaple.com/produ...h-divided-pan/

Bryan
    Thanks

I had planned on having an angle iron frame on the top concrete block, to hold the fire brick in place, so that would mean the fire brick would have to go right to the top.

The other choice I guess is to use masonry cement on the concrete blocks so they do not move, then use high temp refractory cement to attach the fire brick to the concrete blocks and stop short of the top. The down side of that is that the evaporator would become permanent, and I had planned on removing it during the summer period to use that space, as well it would make it difficult to replace a specific concrete block if it gets heat damage.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Thinking about it, the angle iron, if attached to the concrete block away from the edge, would likely have the strength itself to support the pan, thereby not putting any structural stress on the fire bricks.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

I posted a question about using road brick for firebrick. My one thought just like yours was if the pan is supported by the cinder block I would not have the area of the brick under the pan getting heat. Hope that makes sense. I would be making my firebox smaller. But if I made the metal frame study enough the pan could be supported on the ends only by the block. The metal would support the long sides of the pan. Maybe more thought than needed for my micro hobby.

Checking with my local steel supplier, I can get 4”x2”x 1/4” angle iron. The 2” is more than I would want, but does not hurt. I would space my cinder block walls, so that I had a 22” gap between the two pieces of angle iron. The pan would sit 1” on the sides. I would then screw down the 4” part of the angle iron into a solid concrete block, so that it was very solid. I would put gasket material on top of the angle iron for the pan to sit on. I would just have 1/4” thick pieces of flat steel at the two ends.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12