+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishers, sent here from the devil!

Default Fishers, sent here from the devil!

I thought squirrels were bad, but I have a resident fisher in one area that chews everything that crosses his path. He's bitten holes in my mainline, chews tees, tubing, saddles, etc. I found a hollowed out tree, looked in there and there was a dead crow he'd been gnawing on. I swear he goes through life permanently ticked off and destroys anything in his path!

Trapping season should be on.
    I had one here last year but it moved on soon after. He never bothered the tubing and he cleaned out a family of squirrels I'd had problems with in one storage shed for a few years. Hopefully his scent is still in there, they have not returned yet (I think he ate them), nor their cousins.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That sucks. I heard of a guy near us that had fisher problems as well. Completely wrecked his mainline. They are nasty little buggers!

Be careful too, they can be very dangerous. They are a smaller cousin of a Badger and often have that type of temperment.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have been tormented by fishers for about 10 years at my sugar house woods and all 8 years at my remote woods. The first year at my sugar house woods, the devil chewed about 250 drops. It took me two years to trap it. Then another one moved in and I have not been able to get it yet.

In my remote woods, the first fisher chewed parts of 4 or 5 rolls on brand new tubing that we had stacked in a pile at the top of a mainline in the woods. It has gone downhill since then. Took me two seasons to get that one. The new one that moved in went through the whole 40 acre woods chewing drops mostly and a lot of laterals. It died in a trap this summer but not before wrecking a lot of drops and tubing. This fall I replaced 2-300 one year old drops. The past two days after turning on the vacuum, I have put in 40 or 50 couplings on laterals and I am still not finished.

A trapper friend in Ontario gave me the name of a lure that will call in any fisher within a half a mile. I am going to be prepared for the next one. Including the one at my sugar house woods.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

028.jpg027.jpg
    Didn't find one in my buckets yet. Probably busy with you tubing guys. LOL
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

If you don't trap, try to find a trapper to catch it.

I haven't trapped for years, but might need to take it back up. The state of Maine collared some lynx that they were tracking while monitoring their populations and when a collar stopped moving, they'd snowshoe in and find out why. Several of the lynx were killed by fishers, they'd sneak up on them usually in a snowstorm and go for the throat. So yeah, they're a nasty animal.

Looks like Maine's trapping season in Nov-Dec. If you do not trap and are in need of one, I can post on another forum for you and see if anyone is willing to help you out. One of the ADC guys maybe able to trap them out of season. I do not know the regs in your state.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    Looks like Maine's trapping season in Nov-Dec. If you do not trap and are in need of one, I can post on another forum for you and see if anyone is willing to help you out. One of the ADC guys maybe able to trap them out of season. I do not know the regs in your state.
    Thanks, I'm going to keep an eye on him and if it continues, he'll "disappear."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast