+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hop Kiln Road 2020

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I noticed....a whole truck load of Stihls and he has a Husky in his hand
    He knows what saw to grab when work needs to get done!
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Default Cleaning Up My Act

Last spring I decided not only to swap spouts every year but to swap out tees every third year. Out of 750, one .225 spout was constricted with wood chips but all 250 tees were clean as a whistle. Also replaced an old 1/2" mainline section with 3/16 setup. Since I was going to replace the 1/2", I didn't flush it last spring and when I took it down in November the mold build up was impressive. I had always wondered if flushing the lines was worth the effort and now I know. That leaves one orchard left to convert to 3/16. The former operator had abandoned it in 2009, saying the trees had stopped producing. I took it over in 2013 and could not believe the over tapping and cluster tapping. In 7 years of better care the bark is looking better and the sap production has risen from 50% of the average for my all trees to 70%, even though its average tree diameter is higher. Not only do the trees not produce as much sap per tap on a daily basis but they don't run as many days each season as the other orchards.

It took awhile to thaw the trees yesterday even with the warm temps. Looks like this the run started late in the afternoon and ran all night.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default 2nd Run

Got 1,000 gal Monday overnight. Some pretty good flows. Had to fix one cranky 2" valve and the chewed through most of it and the grade stayed at 60% and favor was excellent. Going to pump Tuesday's flow this morning. Won't be as much. Windy today and no freeze until Thursday night.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Still Coming

Well, wrong, it didn't slow down. 1100 gal of 2.3% and it was still flowing at 4PM. Cranked down the RO so the 2nd pass was coming off at 11.5%. Couple minor glitches. Grade stayed steady at 60%+ and very clean thru the filter press. Slight freeze over night so it ain't going to stop.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Give it hell Bruce!
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Default Reset Before Hitting Average Season

Got everything cleaned up last night. Had to fill a 15 gal drum to do it. The RO, concentrate and feed tanks, finisher are all clean. Simmer the evaporator down low and drained the syrup pan. Last bit came off at 55% but it was more than 24 hours from the first crunch. Going to pump yesterday's sap this morning. Got plenty of wood, RO soap and defoamer so away we go.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I'm going to do a good cleaning here tomorrow too. It's amazing how fast things get dirty.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default Keeping Up

Still coming in gtp/day and one of the tanks didn't get hooked up after pumping! Grade is staying steady and the weather is beautiful. Still haven't got my head around the shurflo controller. Did clean out the screen and here's a pic. I've never had a problem with my 3/16 tees plugging in 4 seasons. It appears because the tap hole residue from the drill bit for the .225 spouts is too small plug a tee?Chips in Screen.jpg
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Crusing

Processed 900 gal yesterday and left 200 in the coldest orchard tank. Grade dropped briefly to 51% then climbed back to 54% as the fresh sap got into the system. Filter press has still been amazingly clean. Soaked the syrup pan overnight. Looks like one more good freeze next weekend if the evaporator doesn't ferment first.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I'm a little worried about the extended forecast too Bruce. It looks like we might make it to Maple Weekend and then it will be done. In the meantime the sap keeps running although it was a bit cloudy yesterday. So far this season most of my boils have been in the 1100 gallon range, almost double what they were last year.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast