+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using SS small bottle reducer on Smoky Lake canner--leaking

Default Using SS small bottle reducer on Smoky Lake canner--leaking

I finally found the stainless steel reducer for filling small bottles from my Smoky Lake water jacket canner. Up until now I have been strapping a silicone funnel to the coffee valve, which has worked fairly well. However, now I've got problems with the installation of the SS reducer: I've pressed it into the bottom of the valve per the instructions, but it leaks around the reducer no matter how tight I press it in. Now I've got a leaky valve (probably can't remove the reducer) so I will have to go back to strapping on the funnel. Anyone having the same experience?
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

I never used their coffee type valve, I changed it to a 1/2" ball valve, then I have a foot operated on/off valve. I regulate the flow using the 1/2" ball valve, that way as I change container sizes I simply adjust the ball valve. Doing that my 3/8" outlet fitting on the foot operated valve can be any flow from full flow fast down to a tiny stream. I find this way very handy.
    When I bought the foot controlled valve it came with 3 nozzle sizes, but changing the sizes was more trouble than putting in a 1/2" ball valve and just leaving the 3/8 nozzle in place.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I never used their coffee type valve, I changed it to a 1/2" ball valve, then I have a foot operated on/off valve. I regulate the flow using the 1/2" ball valve, that way as I change container sizes I simply adjust the ball valve. Doing that my 3/8" outlet fitting on the foot operated valve can be any flow from full flow fast down to a tiny stream. I find this way very handy.
    When I bought the foot controlled valve it came with 3 nozzle sizes, but changing the sizes was more trouble than putting in a 1/2" ball valve and just leaving the 3/8 nozzle in place.
    So I think that means no, maple flats has not experienced the issue at hand.😊
    However, our small bottling reducer leaks also. Not a stream, and not constantly, but enough to make a bit of a mess. I'm considering trying to take it back apart and see if I can figure out a fix.

Yup, I've had the same experience with the SL Tomlinson valve and reducer combo. It leaks and gets all over the nip and eventually your hands and eventually over everything. Total mess. I went back to my original coffee spigot from my homemade bottler. It can't do nips, but with the funnel and precise control it offers, it's worth the switch back.

I felt like I wasted my money until I found that the Tomlinson valve (without the reducer) is really good for filling bulk containers. The flow is much faster than the coffee spigot and I can fill the container before the temp drops below 185.

You can take the reducer out by removing the top of the filler, putting the reducer end on a block of wood, and giving it a couple of firm thumps with a mallet or a gloved hand.

SL Filler.jpg
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread