+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: nova scotia 2020

tapped monday night here ( was away on the weekend) ran good monday/tuesday. yesterday afternoon i got a little more.
    haven't finished my new arch yet, but hope to this week, so i can put in more then 12 taps...

according to the temperature charts for march at accuweather.com we should start to see the good weather for the runs to start now.

I'm going to check my buckets in a few days. Wasn't much over the weekend. Looks like the temps might be coming around though. Did you get anything close to Bridgewater where you are over the weekend nhdog??

I tapped 35 trees on the weekend. hopefully get a run this week.

syrup by the sea
    over the weekend was slow but, i had a big run yesterday (wed). i spent all day today boiling to get caught up.

I collected 160 liters of sap on Wednesday. I froze it for a later boil.

I collected ~100L of sap today (aprox. 2L/bucket), just a few were bone dry and a few had close to 5L. Not bad and hoping tonight and tomorrows' predicted temps and sunshine will hold true so we can get even more flow. Sunday loos nice as well. Certainly will boil this weekend.....oh baby.
    I'm tapping all red maples and my brix was 1.5 today.

I'm up in the Annapolis Valley on the Minas Basin. Tapped 15 trees on the 22nd, and another couple since. Trees are generally on the smaller side of what I'd like and are on a North slope, but I've had 100 litres of sap so far, with 3 or 4 trees producing the bulk of that.

I'm new to this addiction, but boiling over a propane burner and waiting for windless days/evenings to boil have kept me busy enough. Hoping to next year have a barrel arch built and RO system of someone done up, which will give me more tap capacity.

Default Nova Scotia 2020

i boiled again yesterday and then finished off some of my near syrup. got a little more near syrup to finish packed in the snow but am waiting to boil again as i still have some in the pan almost read to take off. i am batch boiling on a home made arch and only getting about 6 to 7 gal/hr. right now but hope to build a small decent sugar house next summer and perhaps move up a constant draw unit. what are you folks using?
    Attachment 21143 Attachment 21144 Attachment 21142

20200306_182539.jpg
    Finally started my continuous flow yesterday, until the wife came in and distracted me long enough to scorch my syrup pan (I put all the blame on her, not on the Bud)
    2 x 4 homemade, all from the bottom up. 24x32 raised flue, 16x24 divided syrup pan. About 15gph, in Paradise, NS
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast