+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: nova scotia 2020

Default nova scotia 2020

weather hasn't been to good here where i am but looking to tap next week. has anyone started yet in n.s.?

I started putting out taps yesterday. Have 18 out so far, and a few of them started to run late this afternoon with a few hours of sun on them.
    tomorrow I plan to get another 30 or 40 out across the road.
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

Got about 400 done today, some holes were running a little. 50 more to do tomorrow and a couple hours of tubing repair, ill hang 50 buckets when it starts coming good. Nice weather for it this weekend. hopefully ill be able to flush the lines out and tighten the vacuum up this week.
    500 taps
    2-1/2'x6-1/2' evap. drop flue
    14'x24' sugar shack

I set another 37 today, sap was running out of the holes before the drops and/or spiles could be driven in. Beautiful day for tapping.
    Had to put together a temporary pan setup to boil with until my flue pan is finished. Have 2 steam pans and my new front 16x24 to boil on for the time being. Hopefully I will have the flue pan by Tuesday, then I can get my float boxes all set up.
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

today looked so good i couldn't wait. got 40 taps in. those along the edge of the field were running real good. hope this is a good start.

I tapped 50 trees today. It climbed to +6C in Lunenburg and all but a few trees were running....some were running quite well. Looks like lots of above and below 0C forecast for the next two weeks, but we'll see.

My taps have been in for 2 days now. I collected what was there today and my yield was ~40L. None of the trees were running, so I guess it didn't get cold enough for long enough after the thaw on Sunday, or maybe it's still a bit early.

I collected about 145L yesterday. Boiled down to about 2 gallons in 4 hrs. Trees are still a little slow to get going, but not bad for a first boil

syurp by the sea, i'm just down the road from you (outside bridgewater) i have 50 taps in now. mostly red maples and got 60 lt. in the last 2 days. those in the woods are dripping but not even worth collecting every day. still early yet.

Yes, slow going it seems but looks like we'll get some good cold evening temps this weekend....just need some nice warm sun on those trees during the day. Being by the coast seems to moderate the predicted temps, and depending on which way the wind blows off of the ocean/land might affect how the trees respond. I'll check the buckets at the end of the week/weekend again. Fingers crossed as I'd LOVE to do a boil this weekend, my last years' stock is nearly gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast