+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 66 Brix

Default 66 Brix

I know maple syrup is considered syrup at 66.9 Brix...now my question, can this be expanded to ANY kind of syrup? I am adventuring into making a different type of syrup but want a way to measure when it is at the correct consistency so that all batches are the same.

I know birch syrup needs to be at 66.9 as well. So, can this be expanded to other syrup products?

You need to check with your state, many states have slightly different sugar % requirements.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Depends what you're asking. Do you mean legal standards or a brix level that will reduce/prevent spoilage?

I don't believe there are any legal standards for other tree syrups in the U.S.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Depends what you're asking. Do you mean legal standards or a brix level that will reduce/prevent spoilage?

I don't believe there are any legal standards for other tree syrups in the U.S.
    In addition to legal and spoilage, another question is what concentration can you get to before the sugar crystallizes. Maple is pretty much 100% sucrose. Other trees have other sugar types, which can go to much higher concentration before crystallizing out.

I know you wind up creating some invert sugar when you boil maple sap, so that does change things. But for example I've read that birch sap contains roughly half fructose and half glucose, with very little sucrose. This is more like honey, which has 80% or more sugar.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

Thank you everyone!

We are going to attempt to make pine cone syrup and from what I have read you boil immature pine cones in a sugar & water mixture (boil and cool and repeat about five times). But the only description I can find to tell when it is at the right concentration is if you put a drop on a plate and it cools and it does not flow when you tip the plate. Being a maple producer I automatically thought of using a hydrometer (one different than my maple hydrometer!) to test at what that would be at for a Brix.

A lot of other countries make this kind of product and being from the pine tree state (Maine) I figured what an opportunity to come up with a different niche!

I couldn't find anything specifically in the state guidelines but I will keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCreekMaple View Post
    Thank you everyone!

We are going to attempt to make pine cone syrup and from what I have read you boil immature pine cones in a sugar & water mixture (boil and cool and repeat about five times). But the only description I can find to tell when it is at the right concentration is if you put a drop on a plate and it cools and it does not flow when you tip the plate. Being a maple producer I automatically thought of using a hydrometer (one different than my maple hydrometer!) to test at what that would be at for a Brix.

A lot of other countries make this kind of product and being from the pine tree state (Maine) I figured what an opportunity to come up with a different niche!

I couldn't find anything specifically in the state guidelines but I will keep looking.
    let is know how it works out! honestly sounds fascinating!
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

We are getting close and I'm super excited! We are nuts. Just finished up maple season, gonna jump into birch this year, and THEN it should be "pine cone season" There are 3 approaches I am taking to see what I like best in terms of taste.

I did learn that when using table sugar it should still be around the 65% brix area to prevent spoilage. I'll be such a fun experiment and I can't wait to share!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCreekMaple View Post
    I did learn that when using table sugar it should still be around the 65% brix area to prevent spoilage. I'll be such a fun experiment and I can't wait to share!
    Makes sense. Maple is (mostly) sucrose. Table sugar is sucrose. Spoilage/crystallization properties should be the same.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread