+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Mead recipes?

Default Maple Mead recipes?

Thinking about trying to make a maple flavored Mead (an alcoholic beverage made from/with honey)

I also said that making Maple Syrup is akin to "moon-shining" and if I could I would - so this year I staring thinking and/or trying the turn "maple sap" into a "maple mead" beverage.

Anybody have any stories about trying to make mead from sap and/or recipes to share?
    19-21 Back to tapping
    17-18: not able to tap
    14-16 present: Portable Oil Tank evaporator 40+ taps
    09-14: Stove to Barrel - 20 taps

I have a home beer kit and want to substitute the water with sap in the 4-6 percnt range, hope to give it a lite maple taste.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

Quote Originally Posted by sugarsand View Post
    I have a home beer kit and want to substitute the water with sap in the 4-6 percnt range, hope to give it a lite maple taste.
    Sugarsand, I make Maple Beer every year. I use 5 gallons of sap but find that when the sugars ferment out of it most of the flavor goes with it. To counter this I add 8-12 ounces of dark syrup to the beer when I am kegging it. It adds just enough flavor to make it a hit with your friends.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Z man thanks for the info. I havent made any home brew in a couple years but bought a new batch of ingredients and wondered if sap would be enough to give a faint maple flavor, I'd like tokeep it beer. One batch makes around 60 bottles, does that sound right?
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

Z man thanks for the info. I havent made any home brew in a couple years but bought a new batch of ingredients and wondered if sap would be enough to give a faint maple flavor, I'd like tokeep it beer. One batch makes around 60 bottles, does that sound right?
    Typical batch of beer is five gallons, which makes two cases (you lose some from leaving it behind with the spent yeast).

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

You can make Maple Wine with Maple Syrup. To Call it Mead it has to be mixed with at least 50% honey.
    That said I made some Maple Wine last year 16% ABV which came out well with time, about 1 yr. in aging time was good.
    Nice amber color but not a lot of Maple flavor, definitely packed a punch .
    Trying to make a alcoholic beverage with sap alone is fruitless . You need syrup, lots of it. About 3 lbs per gallon. That is about 1 qt of maple syrup per gallon of brew.
    Last edited by woodsy; 02-21-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

My recipe does not give an overwhelming maple flavor. It's just enough. I don't bottle I keg it but you get 5 gallons per batch.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

I want to distill the sap. Run it through the RO until the sugar content is just high enough, cook it a little on the evaporator, and add the yeast. Distill it, put it in a 1 gallon charred wooden barrel that was previously filled with finished syrup so it picks up flavor and color. After the appropriate time, drain the whiskey and refill the barrel with maple syrup for the whiskey barrel flavored syrup that's all the rage now. Drain the syrup when it's done aging, and repeat fill with whiskey. Should be able to reuse the barrel to flavor whiskey and syrup over and over, just alternating back and forth.

I've made a few batches of maple wine with great success. A very sweet version, dry, and now cinnamon. https://www.nathaninvincible.com/sugar-shack-special

I've also tried a maple syrup & honey blend, apparently called an acerglyn. It's been aging for quite a while and is really weird still. Gonna be sitting on that one for a while I'm guessing. https://www.nathaninvincible.com/spacerglyn
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent914 View Post
    Thinking about trying to make a maple flavored Mead (an alcoholic beverage made from/with honey)

I also said that making Maple Syrup is akin to "moon-shining" and if I could I would - so this year I staring thinking and/or trying the turn "maple sap" into a "maple mead" beverage.

Anybody have any stories about trying to make mead from sap and/or recipes to share?
    this is the second year im working with a local meadery to do maple mead. Did it last year, but since he ages 2 years, I have only just tasted last years. It was delicious. The maple flavor doesn't really come out as you might hope, but it's more about using the sugars and being able to say your product only contains two natural local ingredients. You could always add syrup after fermentation I suppose to get more maple flavor I guess. He uses my partially cooked down sap to mix with the honey before fermenting instead of water like traditional mead. It will be called maple mead since it's at least 50% honey.

+ Reply to Thread